what is wi-fi?

i am having wlan option in my mobile ...what is the difference between wlan and wi-fi?is it same?i am having broadband connection to my system using modem that is not wireless.plz increase my knowledge in this aspect..

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    WLAN - Wireless Local Area Network While WiFi is wireless protocol that connects devices without need of wires. So I'd say Wi-Fi lets you connect to the wireless network. I believe the WLAN option in your mobile is about configuring your mobile to connect to the surrounding wi-fi network. Turn it on and it will detect wi-fi networks around. In order to turn your broadband connection into Wireless Network so that you can connect multiple devices to it - you will need a wireless router. If you don't have one, buy a wireless router and connect it in series with your modem. That is your broadband line will go into the broadband modem and the wireless router will sit between modem and computer.

I hope this clears your doubt. If you have more questions, please feel free to ask 😀
  • Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep
    biggie..i recently heard that without the need of router we can connect multilple devices.#-Link-Snipped-# gives a clear idea about this to how to utilize it ..i tried it but could not connect my desktop to my mobile having wi-fi due to some security problems..you please give me a crystal clear idea about that ..looking forward to hear from you..bye biggie

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys which is the difference between software's & projects? Both seems to be same for me.. Please clear my doubt..
Myspace, once the world's hottest internet firm, has been sold to an online ad company for around $35m, a fraction of the $100m its parent company was seeking for the...
Microsoft on Tuesday released a second preview of its Internet Explorer 10 browser, which will give developers a chance to test out new features and technologies related to IE10. The...
Watched an interesting video and thought of sharing it with CEans. In 2015 there will be nearly one mobile-connected device to every person on earth. Learn who sits at the...
A video about Cisco Cius Tablet's announcement that presented released last year: [video=youtube;9pGTyj7DohU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pGTyj7DohU[/video] It's no where in news in the tablet market. Could anyone list it's good points and bad...