What is VMWARE & What Does It Do?

Hi friends, please tell me what a Vmware is and what does it do?

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Re: Vmware

Vmware is a software which provide different operating systems on a single platform. You can use window xp, linux etc on same system all together. You just have to install vmware and install the operating system you want to use in CD-ROM format.
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    How does it work? I mean are we really working on different os or is it just an illusion sort of thing?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Varsha0802
    How does it work? I mean are we really working on different os or is it just an illusion sort of thing?
    VMWare is a virtualization software. That is, it can create 'virtual' platform (read, an entirely new computer) using existing hardware and software. Let's say you have a powerful computer system. Now you need another computer (a separate physical system) with a different configuration. VMware allows you to do this.

All you have to do is install VMware on your host machine (the powerful one) and create a virtual machine from within VMWare. Once created, you will be able to reboot it, connect it to your host machine, and even do file exchange just like you'd do between two physically different machines.

VMware has helped a lot in cutting down costs! However, the big disadvantage is that the VMWare created virtual machine depends on the host machine. As long as the host machine is running, the virtual machine can operate.

I hope this should get you started. Explore further and if you have further questions, feel free to ask in this thread 😀
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    ok,,,,,,,,,,,,so they access the same hardware.............do they also access the same files stored on the hardware or are they completely disjoint systems?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, both client and host machines will have limited resources of the host machine. VMWARE is installed on the host machine and virtual machine is created inside the VMWare. The client machine will run independently as a separate physical machine as long as the host is running.
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    Thanks for helping me out.....................
  • themask
    themask
    See here. Vmware
    This will show the Core product design and ARchitecture of VMWare.
    This will help you to get a clear idea.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Help me with some interesting mechanical projects..
Any one have an idea about these courses, 1) Intellectual Property Rights & Information Technology in Internet age : This course will cover the basic laws of patents, copyrights, Trademarks...
I have a .wav file whose size is 14 MB. I want to upload it on the net. Is there any way so that I can reduce it's size without...
Aurangabad is creating history. Few months ago, businessmen from Aurangabad created history by booking 150 Mercedes Benz Cars in single day. Now, the entrepreneurs in Aurangabad have created another milestone,...
sir, i am working on oracle lab version 9i. It works for all lab exercises only constraint it does not work for partitions please tell me the procedure to work...