What is the value of b/a ?

Here is yet another puzzle from Archimedes Lab:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two intersected semi-circles inscribed in a rectangle are tangent to 5 discs (soccer balls) as depicted in the image. What is the value of b/a?

[โ€‹IMG]

Puzzle taken from #-Link-Snipped-#

Get all mathy now! Happy Brainache ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

-The Big K-
[/FONT]

Replies

• Rocker
    Rocker
    Looking at the diagram, my best guess is '1'. Is that the right answer??
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I think the answer is sqrt(2)

Construction: Let the centers of the two big semicircles be A and B. Let the semicircles cut each other at C and D. So, we have a quadrilateral ABCD.

Proof: Since AC and AD are tangents to circle B, and BC and BD are tangents to circle A. We can conclude that ACB and BDA are right angles. Also, since all of the sides of this quadrilateral are radii or either circle A or circle B, which equal to a length of b/2. Thus, ABCD is a square of sides b/2. Diagonal AB is of the length sqrt(2)*b/2 = b/sqrt(2).

Also, len(AB) = a = b/sqrt(2). Thus, b/a = sqrt(2). Ta-da!
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    kidakaka

Construction: Let the centers of the two big semicircles be A and B. Let the semicircles cut each other at C and D. So, we have a quadrilateral ABCD.

Proof: Since AC and AD are tangents to circle B, and BC and BD are tangents to circle A. We can conclude that ACB and BDA are right angles. Also, since all of the sides of this quadrilateral are radii or either circle A or circle B, which equal to a length of b/2. Thus, ABCD is a square of sides b/2. Diagonal AB is of the length sqrt(2)*b/2 = b/sqrt(2).

well done kidakaka๐Ÿ˜! I think you got the correct answer!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Right or Wrong, we'll have to wait for the right answer ๐Ÿ˜!

Others, what's your answer?

-The Big K-
  • NiLaY
    NiLaY
    kidakaka

Insufficient data to prove ABCD is a square. Agreed ACB and BDA are right angles, but CAD and DBC (well, this is my fav - Death By Chocolate!) being right angles is an unproved assumption.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    NiLaY, its not an assumption, ABCD has to be a square. This is the logic -

Since AC = AD = b/2 (radii of the circle) and BC = BD = b/2 (radii of the other circle)
    Thus, it is established that ABCD is a paralellogram (a rhombus infact)

Now, its common sense that if two opposite angles of a parallelogram are right angles, the other two are also right angles (do the math ๐Ÿ˜€ ). Thus, our rhombus is a square.

QED.
  • NiLaY
    NiLaY
    Please refer to the image below (common sense). Though, the answer might be correct, I am afraid solution is not. ๐Ÿ˜•
    We need to consider the footballs in this puzzle.
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • crook
    crook
    Where did you get that image NiLaY ๐Ÿ˜‰ The puzzle is turning out to be more difficult that I thought ๐Ÿ˜
  • NiLaY
    NiLaY
    I did not GET ๐Ÿ˜’ it, I combined a few autoshape circles/rectangles/lines in M$ Word to make this.
    By the way, anyone up with another solution?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here we go -

[โ€‹IMG]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We can therefore solve this puzzle with the help of the theorem of Pytagora:
    AA'2 = AB2 + BA'2
    a2 = (b/2)2+ (b/2)2 = 2(b/2)2
    Simplifying: a = b[โ€‹IMG]2/2
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So: b/a = b/(b[โ€‹IMG]2/2) = [โ€‹IMG]2[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](as posted on #-Link-Snipped-# )[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good job, Kidakaka !
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-The Big K-
    [/FONT]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi frnds, i m a student of mechanical engg. 2nd yr and i m really very intrested in speed machines and gas turbine engines are the one which are ment...
hi guys m doin my b.e. in comps(2nd year) from thapar institute patiala hop to hav some fun time with u guys
Dear , Please provide easy to understand & sketch diagrams of the following:- 4-stroke Diesel engine 2-stroke Petrol engine Steam engine NOTE:- Diagram should be simple 2-D Fig.( :!: It...
Well iv been wanting to write this for a long time but never actually got the time ... actually it took me a lot of time to find all these...
Hi all, With parallel port I could have only 8 parallel output (D0-D7). Is there any way so that, from this I could have about more than a hundred parallel...