What is the use of optocoupler in this circuit?

[​IMG]

R1-7-9=1Kohm
R2-3-4-5=100Kohm
R6 =10Kohm
R9 =47Kohm
IC1 = 4066
IC2 =4N25
Q1-2=BC550
S1...11=Push button sw or keyboard
S12=Push button normal closed
All resistors is 1/4W 5%

can i get an output of putting an led at 5th pin of optocoupler and by pressing 1,4,7 .
will the led glows when 1,4,7 is pressed ,
can u tell me any modifications if the circuit is wrong if u think
please reply for all as i m in very hard situation

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to electrical & electronics engineering section.
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    I can think of only 1 reason - GROUND ISOLATION.

-Karthik
  • prasadaraju
    prasadaraju
    ground isolation?
    i cant get u clearly?
    can u xplain clearly plzzzzzzzzz
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    prasadaraju
    ground isolation?
    i cant get u clearly?
    can u xplain clearly plzzzzzzzzz
    SMS text is strictly NOT allowed on CrazyEngineers.
  • skipper
    skipper
    If it's a security lock, maybe the optical coupler is the switch that's opened when you go through?
    So the alarm goes if the code entered is wrong, then the switch is opened (the beam is broken)...?

Given the simple design, off the top I would guess that the ICs are latches (set by the switches), the S12 is probably to reset the latch condition.
    If you don't press the buttons in the right order it doesn't latch and the optocoupler stays on so the beam is interrupted and the alarm goes?
    Or, the latch enabkes the opto, and you have to break the beam to reset the lock...?

You really need more details, but I would say it's one or the other.
  • prasadaraju
    prasadaraju
    vcan u tell me some more about it
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    The only function of the opto-coupler in this circuit is to provide an opportunity to have a wide variety of output stages. For example you could connect a micro controller circuit at the output of the op coupler , or a simple relay , or a solenoid (door lock, since its obviously a security system).
    The presence of the opto-coupler dose not alter the operation of the circuit in anyway. But the circuit by itself has no meaning you will have to add a circuit at the output of the op coupler if you want to achieve something useful.

Hope this helps :smile:

Good Luck.
  • mishra
    mishra
    can u please tell me..that why we use only NPN transistor in an optocoupler....??
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    That is because the behavior of the component is such. Whenever a current flows through the LED in the Opto, we expect the switch (phototransistor) to close. This action is same as that of a npn transistor.

- Karthik
  • prasadaraju
    prasadaraju
    can u explain the detailed operation
    can u tell me wat is the value of R8,R9 RESISTORS
  • shaswat
    shaswat
    optocoulpler is given to electrically isolate one part of the circuit to the other part. so that in case of any damage in one part will not affect the other part of the circuit.
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    @prasadaraju: Can you tell us the IC number? It would be easier to figure out the operation. It seems like a quad bilateral switch, perhaps a 4066?
  • prasadaraju
    prasadaraju
    ya it is 4066
    optocoupler ic is 4n25
  • mishra
    mishra
    Hey thanks karthik...it is commendable dat u replied my ques
    i'll surely come with more queris further
  • unkunny
    unkunny
    Possibly to isolate Analog Gnd from Digital Gnd ....
  • prasadaraju
    prasadaraju
    [​IMG]

R1-7-9=1Kohm
    R2-3-4-5=100Kohm
    R6 =10Kohm
    R9 =47Kohm
    IC1 = 4066
    IC2 =4N25
    Q1-2=BC550
    All resistors is 1/4W 5%

can i get an output of putting an led at 5th pin of optocoupler and by pressing 1,4,7 .
  • Muffy
    Muffy
    You could use an LED at the output of the optocoupler, but the more sensible option would be to neglect the optocoupler and use an LED in its place. Pressing 1,4, 7 in sequence would illuminate the LED.
  • prasadaraju
    prasadaraju
    the circuit is working by just pressing 7
    but can u suggest any modifications if any to get ouput by only perssing 1,4,7
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    shaswat
    optocoulpler is given to electrically isolate one part of the circuit to the other part. so that in case of any damage in one part will not affect the other part of the circuit.
    Yes, this is probably true in this case. A secondary circuit, such as for the operation of an solenoid lock would require much higher voltages and current.. which would probably fry the ICs used in the primary circuit 😀
  • prasadaraju
    prasadaraju
    as i m going to connect this i am getting some malfunctions in circuit ?can u help me

by pressing only 7 also i am geetting output at 1st pin of optocoupler
    can you tell me why is it happening so?
    can u sugggest any other modifications if any?
    also can u clearly explain how each component working?
    please help me sir.

[​IMG]

R1-7-9=1Kohm
    R2-3-4-5=100Kohm
    R6 =10Kohm
    R9 =47Kohm
    IC1 = 4066
    IC2 =4N25
    Q1-2=BC550
    All resistors is 1/4W 5%

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Yes you will see an output at pin 1 of the Opto. But this will not be useful because the R1 = 100kOhm and this high resistance will prevent the Photo-diode inside the opto from working because the current is very low.

Only after pressing 1,4,7 will the photo-diode work properly because now the current would be supplied through R7 which is only 1kOhm.

To check the output here is what you can do -
    1) Connect Pin 5 of the Opto to (say) 10V through a 1K resistor and also a normal LED.
    2) Connect pin 4 of the opto to Ground.

You should see that when you press 1,4 & 7, the LED would glow.

- Karthik
    😁
  • prasadaraju
    prasadaraju
    that means

that means i have to connect a 1kohm resistor and led between 5th pin of opto and 9v .....is this what you are saying
    can u reply me
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Exactly ! Plus also connect pin 4 to GND.

-Karthik

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hye i want to ask, what diferent between RFID n mifare card.....which one is better....
CEans, Are you aware that the next version of the hyper text markup language [or simply, the language that lets you view all these beautiful web pages on the Internet]...
I see that lot of our regular CEans aren't online these days. I hope everything's well with everyone! I had been busy with few of the projects and I admit...
Here's a simple question for all of you - 1. Name the first Internet ".com" domain registered. When was it registered?
One of the discussion topics given to us, when I was a student: Do MBAs make better entrepreneurs? Your take?