What is the sound that we hear when we close our ears with fingers?

Hi Guys,

Recently I have been thinking about the origin of the sound that we hear when we close our ears with fingers. Could it be the flow of blood inside body? or air pressure trapped in the ear tunnel make the air molecules vibrate and produce sound? anything to do with balancing fluid?

I want to hear your opinion. Any theory is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• vipandeep
    vipandeep
    I didn't expect silence on this. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Sound like the sea!!!! like when you put your ear on a shell
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    It's the sound of blood rushing through the veins in our ears.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i heard nothing OMG i think i am becoming deff ๐Ÿ˜
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    Thanks guys. Can i get any reference? i want to read a bit more about it.
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    and if it is the blood running in veins then shouldn't we hear the affect of pulse?
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    vipandeep
    Thanks guys. Can i get any reference? i want to read a bit more about it.
    How about this: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    When you are in a closed room, with no noise, even the sound of a pin dropping is heard. The same way, when you close your ears and block the external sound, only the sound inside the body, i.e., blood flow is heard... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Hey everyone noticed anything when you close your ears, its the same feeling when you close your eyes. Feel very relaxed. Which means it has to be the sound from inside when the internal blocked air hitting the ear drum very soft.

and I don't think its the sound of the blood flowing through veins though.

P.S: Heavy Disturbances cause irritation.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    vipandeep
    Hi Guys, Recently I have been thinking about the origin of the sound that we hear when we close our ears with fingers. Could it be the flow of blood inside body? or air pressure trapped in the ear tunnel make the air molecules vibrate and produce sound? anything to do with balancing fluid? I want to hear your opinion. Any theory is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Generally hearing is modified by ambient noise. The ear drum is very sensitive to the air pressure pulses, which is how we hear. When you close the outer ear, all external noise is blocked. Even very low decibel noise can then be heard. When you use your fingers to close the ear there is usually some small flexing of the muscles in the finger, a little bit of rubbing of the finger againt the inner skin of the ear and the compression of the surrounding muscle fibres in the ear. All of these generate small sounds, which can be heard in the silence imposed by the closure. A hearing aid or the ear phones of an MP3 player delivers very small power, yet the sounds are loud and clear.

You do not hear these sounds if you plug the ear with soft rubber foam plugs, which are inert and do not move like fingers.

Bioramani
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think it's due to white noise..

White noise is the noise (Noise is some random signal manifested in the form of sound. I don't mean noise as in the noise we make or noise made by some artificial sources..) inherently present in the atmosphere..
    When you place your hand close to your ear, what you hear is the amplified form of that noise.. Again, I'm not too sure about this, but when I thought about it, this seemed to be more plausible..
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    bioramani
    Generally hearing is modified by ambient noise. The ear drum is very sensitive to the air pressure pulses, which is how we hear. When you close the outer ear, all external noise is blocked. Even very low decibel noise can then be heard. When you use your fingers to close the ear there is usually some small flexing of the muscles in the finger, a little bit of rubbing of the finger againt the inner skin of the ear and the compression of the surrounding muscle fibres in the ear. All of these generate small sounds, which can be heard in the silence imposed by the closure. A hearing aid or the ear phones of an MP3 player delivers very small power, yet the sounds are loud and clear.

You do not hear these sounds if you plug the ear with soft rubber foam plugs, which are inert and do not move like fingers.

Bioramani
    Ha!! Good one!!

I didn't see this post when I replied.. Now I have the source of the white noise that I mentioned!! ๐Ÿ˜€
    I do think any small source of sound will get sufficiently amplified in that condition, where most external sounds are cut off..
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    i think these are actually the sounds of differnt type of activities take place in our body so i appreciate your prediction
  • DheerajR
    DheerajR
    I have a simular clicking sound but also a whistleing at about "middle C " level if I put my finger in my right ear,also if I go out in the wind with the wind coming from behind me may be it because of air pressure that create when we put fingers on our ears

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This 8085 Online Simulator is simple and easy to work with. Here: 8085 Online Assembler and Simulator Here's what you need to do: Enter the code as shown in the...
Dear All, Could someone please share the properties of silver ink material which is sputtered over PVDF films of commercially available thicknesses (PVDF thickness) 28um,52um,110um? Best regards, Raghu Vamshi.
Hello all the Crazy Engineers......!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ This is Bhavin , just completed the Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering... ๐Ÿ˜‰ And after this, I want to do B.Tech in EC...!...
how much does AICTE affilation matter fo a particular UG course, considering i want to do masters from abroad?
Seven Things to Let Go of Before You Release Date: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 Time: 11:00am Pacific / 2:00pm Eastern Don't miss out. Register today!