What is the difference between Mkv and Mp4?

This may seem stupid that I have this query. I see people around me talk about .mkv format ruling whereas .mp4 getting out run. I have seen videos in both the formats and frankly speaking, I havent been able to spot the difference between them. The only thing I figured out was .mkv has an excellent picture quality and sound. Plus it consumes comparatively less space. .mp4 has an exceptional picture quality too but it takes more space. .mkv seems more handy just by observing.

But i wish to know the technical difference between them. And which one is actually better.

Points of comparison that matter to me are
1. Picture Quality
2. Sound Quality
3. SPACE (the less the better)

Please help me choose between them.

(PS: I have a limited data plan)

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Mkv is far better than mp4 both in terms of size and quality but you want an apt player to play it as most of the mobile players wont play it.If you plan for pc better use vlc and enjoy your movies.
    Mka for audio,Mks for subs and mkv for all in one (video,audio,sub)
    m stands for matroska which in russian means nesting doll.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Thanks for that, but i observed it already. When i watch movies in mkv, they are good. Include everything prehand. Subtitles and all. I wanted technical difference between both of the formats.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The way they compress the data is the only difference Mp4 format uses manipulation in white noise for higher order of compression

But This involves playing with noise signal and so this tech is really lossy and has lesser quality

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After the couple of weeks full of speculations and rants about the teasers, LG has launched its brand new smartphone called the LG G2. At a release event in New...
I had a chance to stumble on commerce India and found that India's major import accounts for petroleum and it costs more than 150billion .India majorly import from UAE ,...
This article is mostly common sense. Being put up just in case: Skills 101 – How to detail your car’s interior
Screwed mkdir by just logging as root and then typed rmdir mkdir. Not able to create any new directory, right, but how to restore it back in /bin? Is there...
Yes it is confirmed that Audi has planned to release its luxury segment car named "A8" in frankfurt autoshow.It was an out and out competition for Audi and Mercedes S...