What is the best onboarding process for new hires and freshers?

Startups hire all the time. There are people coming and going out of a startup all the time. (Especially because there's people leaving startup jobs to go to MNCs 😳)
So, when there are new hires/freshers whom you want to streamline with your company, it is a lot of hard work. Startups already have so much they want to get done. Most of the startup employees are racing against time to build a product and to acquire users and customers before funding runs out.

Does it make sense to have a special program for the onboarding process?
I think it does.

If you see a big company's on boarding process, it involves briefing the role of engineering mentorship, organizing and scheduling on-boarding training and mentors, coordinating the creation of training materials, and holding mentor training workshops too!

However, I don't think startups have the time and monetary liberty to indulge in all those big buzz words.

Therefore, here's an open question to all - What do you think should be the onboarding process for new hires in a startup?

Share your experiences, expectations or suggestions below.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is an interesting question, since we have read what @#-Link-Snipped-# has told. He had a very good team and everyone left as there was a job fair.

But what I think is, If people leave or dont leave, train them in the best way that people learn something out of that training.

Few people (or all) will leave after getting a good job, but the person who trained will get good knowledge and the person who gets trained will never forget you (the trainer). And if the person's cousin says that he is selected to a start up and nothing else, I will tell him stay there just stay there 😀 as he would already have tasted the flavor and issues with MNC. (bench, copy paste etc)
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    I did one mistake for about 8 years. Recruiting freshers. Well ofcourse there are pros as you can get them work for far less than you may have to pay a professional. But cons are immense. It needs huge time to train the freshers and they hardly ever are productive to company. By the time they get trained, they leave. For instance freshers in India would happily work for $200 a month. However the training cost goes for a toss. And it ranges from $1000 to about $3000 depending upon your work. And that is cost that you bear for a 3 months period. So we have completely done away with recruiting freshers.

We prefer a global team of professionals having enough experience. You pay about $50 an hour and they get your job done in less than 20 hours. That is roughly a week. You save time and money.

So freshers are really a bad pain. I know lot of freshers would come up with "if we don't get the chance how will we learn?".

My answer is straight. You need to learn and sharpen your skills in the college. I know quite a few engineers from not so famous colleges in India who are earning more than $1000 a month through app stores in their 3rd semester itself.

So for me, freshers are the last thing you want to get into if you are a startup. Reserve the energy to better utilize it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree with @#-Link-Snipped-#. It all boils down to the 'attitude' they bring - which is mostly 'casual'. At CE, we're going to make sure that if a fresher is hired, he/she is tested thoroughly before they're made a part of the company.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

At CrazyEngineers, we're looking to buy a coffee / tea / soup vending machine. We're aiming for a smaller machine that'd serve < 10 people for a day on a...
Hello people, i am in 3rd year n my branch is computer and technology..i am olready latee bt still i am confused from what should i start with my pg...
THE SECRET DIARY OF BHARAT RATNA Dr C.N.R. Rao He played cricket for 24 years, I was with solid state chemistry for 60 years. V. GANGADHAR Tense moments. Not possible...
Quote: Destin and Dr. Robert Simmons at Georgia State University revealed the tiniest details of a butterfly's wing using an LEO 1450VP scanning electron microscope that can view objects as...
Spice Mobiles has launched the Spice Smart Flo Mettle 5X - a Android 4.2 Jelly Bean running smartphone in India. The phone features a 5-inch FWVGA Capacitive Touch display with...