1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What is solr and how to start with it?

Question asked by Karshil Sheth in #Big Data on Feb 2, 2020
Karshil Sheth
Karshil Sheth · Feb 2, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

I am little bit confuse about solr and big data. I feel as they are same things and used for searching and analysis. Am I understanding right or not? Where can I find tutorial for solr and how is it practiced in Project?

Posted in: #Big Data
Noothan Kumar
Noothan Kumar · Feb 22, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Solr is highly reliable, scalable and fault tolerant, providing distributed indexing, replication and load-balanced querying, automated failover and recovery, centralized configuration and more. Solr powers the search and navigation features of many of the world's largest internet sites.
Solr enables you to easily create search engines which searches websites, databases and files.

Performance improvements with Apache Solr
High traffic sites running search queries against the database can start to degrade the site’s overall performance if the database becomes the bottleneck. This is also true for lower traffic sites with lots of content. Complex search queries can be slow to run.
Requirements for features such as faceted search (see below) are becoming increasingly common. This can be delivered in conjunction with Drupal core search using the Faceted Search module but the inherent scalability and performance implications are well documented by the module’s maintainers.

Other useful Apache Solr features
Apache Solr also supports indexing and searching multiple sites (imagine internal intranet site and external corporate site), indexing attachments (eg PDFs, Excel documents) and recommended content blocks driven by a node’s taxonomy. The module page and the Acquia Search overview both have a good overview of the Apache Solr features that Drupal supports.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up