What is OS? and where we use it?
What's meant by OS here, is it operating system?
If thats the case I would recommend Linux easy to understand and safe to operate.
OS(operating system) is a system software that handles hardware resources efficiently.
Types of operating systems
Single tasking and multi tasking
Single tasking is can run only one program at a time whereas multitasking is can one or more programs at a time
Single and multi user
Single user os have no facilities to distinguish users, but may allow multiple programs to run at a time whereas multi user permits the user to interact with system at the same time.
An OS is system software that manages everything in a computer. These include computer hardware and software resources. It also provides common services for computer programs.
The functions of an operating system
An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware, software resources, and provides common services for computer programs . An operating system has three main functions
manage the computer's resources, such as the central processing unit, memory, disk drives, and printers
establish a user interface
execute and provide services for applications software.
Operating system is a intermediary between user and the hardware. The purpose of using operating system is to execute programs in efficient and convenient way. It provides place for executing user programs. Operating system is a program that runs at all time in the computer background.
To execute each and every user programs we require operating system. Operating system helps in multiprogramming. As we know we as users do multiple tasks at a time so operating system will do that work. We have many algorithms to do these like job scheduling, Round robin algorithms helps to learn more about operating systems.
Operating System is a software program , which acts as an intermediate between the user and computer hardware. There are many uses of OS,as it is the main component of a computer that lets the computer to work in major ways.
Here are the services provided by OS through which we get benefited:
- Resource allocation : In order to increase hardware utilization in an efficient manner,OS provides different CPU and Disk Scheduling Algorithms. OS does memory management by various techniques called Segmentation ,Paging etc.
- File System Manipulation: OS provides various File Attributes(name,size,type,location,protection etc),File types,different access modes to access those files and Directories to access to data or information stored in files.
- Error Detection : like finding Deadlock situations.
- Communication : OS does message passing,
- Protection : Provides features User Authentication through passwords,Biometrics etc. Protects the device from system threats(viruses,worms etc),program threats(Trojan horse etc) by providing access to various applications like Antivirus etc.