what is OLAP & OLTP ?

what is exactly OLAP & OLTP ?

also what is MOLAP,HOLAP,ROLAP.

Replies

• dipen30
    dipen30
    1) OLAP stands for "online analytical processing" , a series of protocol mainly use for business reporting. A main component of OLAP is its ability to make multidimensional calculations, allowing a wide and lightning-fast array of possibilities.

2) OLTP stands for "online transaction processing". OLTP Applications typically,
    Receive a fixed set of inputs from remote clients. Perform multiple pre-compiled SQL comments against a local database. Commit the work and Return a fixed set of results.

3) This is the more traditional way of OLAP analysis. In MOLAP, data is stored in a multidimensional cube. The storage is not in the relational database, but in proprietary formats.
    MOLAP use for its "Excellent performance" and "complex calculations".

4) This methodology relies on manipulating the data stored in the relational database to give the appearance of traditional OLAP's slicing and dicing functionality. In essence, each action of slicing and dicing is equivalent to adding a "WHERE" clause in the SQL statement.

5) HOLAP technologies attempt to combine the advantages of MOLAP and ROLAP. For summary-type information, HOLAP leverages cube technology for faster performance. When detail information is needed, HOLAP can "drill through" from the cube into the underlying relational data.

correct me if I am wrong.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI CE's, Tell some topics of major project which I can make by ASP.Net or JAva. But the problem is also that I know Core Java. Can projects can be...
Hi everyone, Newbie on this forum. Not new to Engineering though. My dad is a Manufacturing Engineer and he passed on his love of engineering to me. I tinkered around...
Why there are so few good engineers... It's the time of the French Revolution and they're doing their usual daily beheadings. Today they're leading a priest, a prostitute and an...
CEans, Often, I receive feedback from members that the site is too complicated/difficult to understand. We've discussed this before, through conferences, and through CE Forums. However, I'm looking to seek...
Hello, I am having Oralce 9i databases in my system and I want to format a system,so how to take backup of oracle database and what are the steps I...