What is marine engineering about?

I've seen few of the marine engineers on CE. Can anyone explain what is marine engineering about?

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Marine engineers do the job of engineering the construction and maintenence of ships and other sailing vessels. Also they are responsible for the supervision of engine crews that look after smooth functioning and improving efficiencies of steam engines, turbines, motors, propulsion engines, plants etc. They work on the basic theories of superconductivity, oceanic thermal energy, fuel cells, magneto hydrodynamics etc.and develop more efficient sailing vessels.
    The branch was closely related to Mechanical Engineering but nowadays it also uses many concepts from electrical, control, communication, electronic, nuclear(in some cases) branches. This is because of the modernization of marine vessels and the equipments.
    here are 4 classifications of Marine Engineering licences throughout the merchant marine, those being Chief Engineer, Second Engineer, Third Engineer, and Fourth Engineer. Those who join without experience are Fifth Engineers / Trainee Marine Engineers (TMEs) or Junior Engineers. Those who join without an engineering license are given the rank of Engine Cadet. Engine Cadets usually only work under the supervision of a watch keeping engineer. They are mostly only day workers and are usually given one day off per week to study for gaining their licenses.
    Marine Engineers are generally more 'hands on', and often get dirty, sweaty and work in arduous conditions with temperatures in the engine room spaces exceeding 45 - 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit). Patience and a logical approach needs to be maintained at all times, especially when dealing with heavy machinery in a seaway.

Sources:
    1) Wikipedia
    2) I went to Pune last year. Our host's son was a B.Tech in Marine Engineering. He had worked in a ship for 2 years. Joined it as Engine Cadet and was 3rd Engineer by the time he left. He is presently pursuing MBA. He shared his experience.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks for the information ๐Ÿ˜€ .
  • icehari
    icehari
    thanks for your post raj, i got an idea about marine engineering after reading your reply...
  • gohm
    gohm
    Another seperate type of marine engineer also be involved in the design of ships, oil platforms, piers, pylons, wave breaks, bridge supports & any other man-made structure based in a marine water environment. A blend of thermo/hydro dynamics, chemistry, mechanical engineering & architecture.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sounds fun ๐Ÿ˜€

I had aspired to be a naval/marine engineer once, to design some modern aircraft carriers and cruisers. Used to draw them out on rough paper ๐Ÿ˜›
  • gohm
    gohm
    Ash, do you still have them? What changed your interest to sqitch to communications?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    gohm
    Ash, do you still have them? What changed your interest to sqitch to communications?
    Nope, they are gone ๐Ÿ˜” Just like many other sketches I've doodled on paper.

I think communications is a good and interesting challenge to take, has a lot of prominence in today and in the future, and can create a very strong positive change in societies, no matter what stage of development they are in.

But anyway, even if I had "switched" focus to a particular engineering field, my interests still lie over various fields, just like the rest of us I'm sure, haha. Things like aeronautics, marine, robotics, automotive and computers.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Too bad, was looking forward to seeing your sketches at Lloyd's of London
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You mean Lloyd's Register? ๐Ÿ˜›

Hm.. perhaps my sketches of antennas and circuits might interest you instead? *grin*
  • avinashovich
    avinashovich
    In addition to Maintenance & Operation of ship machineries....Prevention from pollution is a big issue now......Port State Control are very strict now...Heavy Fine / Arrest if pollution prevention management is not proper on board..
  • inform
    inform
    raj87verma88
    Marine engineers do the job of engineering the construction and maintenence of ships and other sailing vessels. Also they are responsible for the supervision of engine crews that look after smooth functioning and improving efficiencies of steam engines, turbines, motors, propulsion engines, plants etc. They work on the basic theories of superconductivity, oceanic thermal energy, fuel cells, magneto hydrodynamics etc.and develop more efficient sailing vessels.
    The branch was closely related to Mechanical Engineering but nowadays it also uses many concepts from electrical, control, communication, electronic, nuclear(in some cases) branches. This is because of the modernization of marine vessels and the equipments.
    here are 4 classifications of Marine Engineering licences throughout the merchant marine, those being Chief Engineer, Second Engineer, Third Engineer, and Fourth Engineer. Those who join without experience are Fifth Engineers / Trainee Marine Engineers (TMEs) or Junior Engineers. Those who join without an engineering license are given the rank of Engine Cadet. Engine Cadets usually only work under the supervision of a watch keeping engineer. They are mostly only day workers and are usually given one day off per week to study for gaining their licenses.
    Marine Engineers are generally more 'hands on', and often get dirty, sweaty and work in arduous conditions with temperatures in the engine room spaces exceeding 45 - 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit). Patience and a logical approach needs to be maintained at all times, especially when dealing with heavy machinery in a seaway.

Sources:
    1) Wikipedia
    2) I went to Pune last year. Our host's son was a B.Tech in Marine Engineering. He had worked in a ship for 2 years. Joined it as Engine Cadet and was 3rd Engineer by the time he left. He is presently pursuing MBA. He shared his experience.
    Thanks for the great information
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Hello,
    Marine Engineering involves the design, construction, installation, operation and support of the systems and equipment which propel and control marine vehicles, and of the systems which make a vehicle or structure habitable for crew, passengers and cargo.

Marine Engineering is allied to mechanical engineering, although the modern marine engineer requires knowledge (and hands on experience) with electrical, electronic, pneumatic, hydraulic, chemistry, control engineering, naval architecture or ship design, process engineering,steam generations gas turbines and even nuclear technology on certain military vessels.

Marine Engineering on board a ship refers to the operation and maintenance of the propulsion and other systems such as: electrical power generation plant; lighting; air conditioning; refrigeration; and water systems on board the vessel. This work is carried out by Marine Engineering Officers, who usually train via cadetships sponsored by a variety of Maritime organisations.

Marine engineering also embraces other areas such as Autonomous Underwater Vehicle research; Marine renewable energy research; and careers related to the Offshore extractive and infrastructure (Cable Laying) industries.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IT BHU is organizing Magnum Opus between 19-21 February 2009 Official Website: Magnum Opus About: Great ventures need great Ideas, but in this era of globalization, just a great idea...
IIT Chennai has organized MEDCHEM 2009 Official Website: MEDCHEM - 2009 Department of Chemistry About: The event MEDCHEM 2009 is being organized by the Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of...
I found few on MIT Pune website. Source: State Level Technical Paper Presentation Competition|MAEER's MIT SSPP|PUNE You might find them useful: Intrusion Detection System Wireless Security Data Mining and Olap...
hello everyone. i have a few questions about Gate exam. 1) For how many years the results of the exam is taken to be valid? 2) For how many times...
mining ceiians suggest me some mining project idea or any seminar topic