What is mac address? How can I find my computer mac address?

please tell me clear definition of it and what is difference between ip and mac address?

Replies

• Jayesh.V
    Jayesh.V
    MAC address (Media access control) is a unique address given to every network card or the lan card while manufacturing that is present in the mother board
    IP address is the address given by the ISP to make you connect to the Internet via that particluar address

More Info : #-Link-Snipped-#nd ofc correct me of am wrong 😀
  • bohar
    bohar
    how i can find mac and ipm adress of my laptop?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    do a ipconfig /all
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    bohar
    how i can find mac and ipm adress of my laptop?
    You can also check out the "Network Connection - Status" (on the right hand side of your desktop taskbar), then click on the "Details". Then you'll get the details about your network, in which "Physical Address" is your MAC Address.

The IP Address can change, but the MAC address remains the same for your laptop each time to connect to the internet.
  • bohar
    bohar
    if we have ip address then why we write DNS in internet connection?
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    1)
    MAC Address ( Media Access Control Address) is a unique identifier no. burned on each NIC (Network Interface Card). MAC address is used in communication at DATA LINK layer ( Layer 2 of OSI Model).

MAC address is of 48 bit, represented in HEXADECIMAL form.
    eg: 02:56:7A:F0:29:71

To know more in detail of MAC address you can go Mac Address.

2)
    Now remember, Your computer does not have MAC address, it is on your NIC card. So if you have more then one NIC card ( Lan, wlan, etc), then each device has different unique MAC address.

For knowing MAC address of any NIC on your computer from one place, open "command promote", and type "ipconfig /all"; you get details of all NIC's.
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    bohar
    if we have ip address then why we write DNS in internet connection?
    DNS : DOMAIN NAME SYSTEM.

DNS is used for resolving ip address associated with domain name. OR It translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide.

Why we need use of DNS?
    1) For any normal human its very hard to remember ip address of all servers. Instead of remaining IP address, we can easily remember DOMAIN NAME ( google.com, facebook.com, crazyengineers.com )

2) Now in case a server's ip address changes then users or server administrator don't need to worry about it. Just modify entry in DNS and user can access that server via same DOMAIN NAME. They even don't know that ip address of server is changed.

To know more about it, you can go Domain Name System.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Let's put the whole thing in context here.
    Computer A and Server B are in different Networks. The user @ computer A does w w w. x y z . c o m.Now, computers in general dont understand what x y z is in real. DNS comes into play here, where it has a IP mapping for every such humna readable URL to a computer underrstandable IP address.That is why you configure a DNS server details.
    When Computer A has to send any packet to server B, computer A first checks the IP address (l3 address) of server B. It calculates the network in which the Ip address lies by using the subnet mask configured .
    Incase, it deduces that server B is in a different network, it has to send the packet to a default router (gateway) (MAC:aaaa:bbbb:cccc:dddd)of its own network. Since the Gateway will be in same network as the computer A is in, it sends the packet to a destination MAC address .
    So the packet will be looking as below
    source IP :computer A IP
    source MAC: computer A MAC
    destination IP: server B IP
    destination MAC:default gateway MAC

You can think MAC as address used ti communicate with devices within a LAN , where as IP address as address used to communciate with devices external to the LAN from which the packet is originating
  • poganinja
    poganinja
    bohar
    please tell me clear definition of it and what is difference between ip and mac address?
    MAC address is fixed to the hardware device (for example a network card) and can't be changed. IP address is assigned to your system by your ISP. The default IP address for a device can be computed by converting the four right-most numbers of the MAC address from hex to decimal.
    The MAC address refers to the physical address assigned by the Network Interface Card manufacturer. Example - 10.03.d5.f3.45.fc , where are an IP address is given to a computer when it gets connected to the network. Its divided into four parts , separated by fullstops.
    If you want to know your network ip address then have a look at sites like IP-Details: Your IP Address here they display your network ip address along with information's like ip location ,country ,ISP address and so on ..
    If you want to find ip address from MAC address
    Hi here i list out the instruction to find the ip address from mac address .
    1.Click the Windows "Start" button and select "Run." In the textbox, type "cmd" and click the "Ok" button. This opens a DOS prompt.
    2.Type "arp" in the command prompt. This gives you a list of options to use with the arp command.
    3.Type "arp -a" in the command prompt. This lists a number of MAC addresses with the associated IP addresses. Since you have the MAC address, scroll down the list to find the associated IP address. The MAC address is shown in the "Physical Address" column with the IP address in the "Internet Address" column.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

any one has the aptitude n technical paper of indiabulls power??
Bullet-Resistant Wool - RMIT University - YouTube Textile World - Bullet-resistant Wool Heads Toward Commercialization
Friends, Our college has hiked our college fees by yet another INR 14298. And we are trying to file an RTI application. Can you post what are the steps required...
what is the best book for roof design and details for engineers😭
Hi, I'm trying to figure out why in the reheat cycle on a power plant turbine the water steam is a low pressure vapor after the reheat stage? is it...