What is Jumper?

can anyone explain what is work of jumper in hard-disk?

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Jumpers are used to perform certain tasks. You may find many jumpers on the motherboard. For Eg. On the motherboard, there is a jumper to clear the bios settings. You have to move the jumper from 1-2 position to 2-3 position.

On the hard disk, there are jumpers to make the disk master or slave.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    -External Mass Storage enclosures require the jumpers to be set to SINGLE, MASTER, or CABLE SELECT (CS) setting.
    (Some HDDs tend to work best if all jumpers are removed from the HDD).
    -Jumper blocks and jumpers are also often used on motherboards to clear the CMOS information, resetting the BIOS configuration settings
    -When a jumper is placed over two or more jumper pins, an electrical connection is made between them, and the equipment is thus instructed to activate certain settings accordingly.​
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Thanks for the info, mahesh.
  • dipen30
    dipen30
    thanx for nice info

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As a continuation of my previous post about Wireless Mesh Network topologies Applications: HOME network: Consider a home with a wireless router, what if there are black points where you...
hi ceans, I want to know about waht we actually mean when we say that this processor is dual core or quad core & this processor has 2 or 4...
I read this somewhere - A mobile phone’s SMS capacity is only 140 bytes (8 bits constitute a byte). For sending an SMS in English we need just 7 bits...
... and i am loving it!(OK I am late saying this..) I joined CE when I was looking for some help on my OFDM project. I was talking to my...
CEans, BITS Pilani Goa campus is organizing Quark 2010 between 4-6[sup]th[/sup] February 2010. Officeial Website: QUARK 2010 | Coming Soon | February 4th - 6th Updates to follow.