What is GRE?

For anybody who exactly don't know about GRE

What is the GRE and how is it structured?
The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General Test is a multiple-choice admission test for applicants to graduate schools. The test is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), under the sponsorship of the Graduate Record Examinations Board. The GRE is a computer-adaptive test (CAT), and consists of three scored sections:

Verbal
  • Sentence Completion
  • Analogies
  • Antonyms
  • Reading Comprehension
Marks 800
Questions 30
Time 30min

Quant
  • Problem Solving
  • Quant Comparisons
  • Graph Based Questions
Marks 800
Questions 28
Time 45min

AWA
  • Perspectives on an issue
  • Analysis of an argument
Marks 0-6(Graded)
Questions 1+1
Time 45min+30min

How is the GRE scored?[FONT=Verdana,arial]
Each of the three sections is scored on a scale of 200 to 800. The average scores for the GRE are about 470 for Verbal and 570 for Quantitative.
[/FONT]

This is what i could find...Post in other details.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    new pattern

That was a nice introduction to GRE, Neha. [​IMG]

Here is a link to the new GRE pattern - ( #-Link-Snipped-# )

-The Big K-
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    nice info ..
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    Strategies for Raising GRE Scores
    [FONT="]Strategies for Raising GRE Scores[/FONT]​

1. Make a study plan and follow it.

The right study plan will help you manage time in preparing for the GRE whether you have three months, three weeks or only a few days to prepare.

First, ask yourself two questions:
    How long until the test?
    How much time can be devoted to GRE study?

Second, take the Diagnostic Examination. From the scores, youll be able to see where you need to concentrate your efforts.
    Third, develop a plan:
    Best Plan: 2-3 months to prepare for the GRE. Complete all exercises in preferred study guide, engage
    in small group study; take multiple practice exams.
    Accelerated Plan: If you only have 30 days to prepare, youll have have to sacrifice a bit on the
    practice exams, but youll have time to work through sample questions.

Top Speed: If the GRE is coming up in two weeks or less, you may only have time to concentrate on the
    Diagnostic Examination and hit critical parts of each chapter in a GRE study guide.

2. Learn the directions in advance.

If you already knows what to do for each question type, you wont waste precious test time and you can jump right in and begin answering questions as soon as the bests begins.

30 seconds reading directions = 3 or 4 questions in each section

3. Always guess.

On the GRE, its to your advantage to answer every question; youll be penalized for any questions left unanswered when time runs out. To make an educated guess by eliminating one of more answer choices is a good thing!

Play the odds.
    Eliminate one answer choice = 25% chance of guessing correctly
    Eliminate two answer choices = 33 1/3% change guessing correctly
    Eliminate three answer choices = 50% chance of guessing correctly

4. In sentence completions, look for clue words.

If you cant come up with the missing word immediately, look for clue words which will reveal the meaning of the sentence and point you in the right direction.

5. In analogy questions, a sentence can make the connection.

GRE analogies are all about word relations. They test your verbal reasoning ability to see a relationship between two words and to recognize a similar relationship between two other words. The key to analogy success is being able
    to express the relationship between the words in a pair.

6. In reading comprehension, read for structure, not details.

When you read GRE passages, dont let the details bog you down. Most of the questions will ask about the structure of the passage rather than specific facts. If you need the facts, theyre always there in the passage.

Theres no need to worry about what you know or dont know about the topic. The information is based on the information in the passage. Most details are irrelevant. The key steps are:

Preview key sentences. The first sentence of the paragraph is often the topic sentence. View key sentences by scrolling through the passage.
    Read for structure; ignore details.
    Do a mental wrap-up. Before moving to the questions, pause for a few seconds and review what you have just read. Summarize in your own words the main point of the selection (think up a title for the passage!) and visualize mentally an outline of the passage.

7. If a problem-solving math question stumps you, work backwards from the answers and eliminate choices that are completely off the radar screen.
    GRE problem-solving questions test your math reasoning, not your ability to make endless calculations. If you find yourself mired in calculations, you probably missed a shortcut that would have made your work easier.

The quantities in GRE problem-solving answer choices either go from larger to smaller or the other way around. Remember that when trying to eliminate or test answers.

Break down complex word problems into easy-to-handle steps. Compare what you are asked for with what you are given and build a mental bridge between the two before you start tart doing math. This words for complex
    graph questions, too!

8. In quantitative comparisons, consider all the possibilities and memorize the answer choices.

Read the centered information for each question since this information governs the entire problem.

Compare the quantity in Column A to the quantity in Column B. See how each quantity related to the centered information.

Do only as much work as is needed to make the comparison.

Choose the answer and make the answer sheet carefully! There are only four answer choices, so dont mark E by mistake.

9. For analytical reasoning questions, set up a bookkeeping system to summarize the information.

Use your own notional devices or adapt ones that work best for you.

10. In logical reasoning questions, start by finding the conclusion.

Since the conclusion is the main point of the argument, its the key to answering every question of this type.-- an initial paragraph or statement that presents an argument or otherwise states a position.

The three building blocks of logical reasoning are:

Stimulus Material = the content of the item
    Question stem = tells you what to do with the stimulus material (e.g., identifies conclusion of an argument; points out a premise of an argument; identifies strengths and weaknesses in an argument; recognizes parallel reasoning; draws conclusions and makes inferences)
    Answer choices = possible responses to the stem. The right answer is the credited response. The wrong answers are distractors because they are carefully written to distract your attention away from the right answer.
    TestSmarts to Prepare for Exam

1. Buy, beg, borrow or rent a #-Link-Snipped-#. Just as there is a big difference between knowing what a car looks like and knowing how to drive one, there is a big difference about studying about the computerized GRE and taking it. If
    you have to, go to a local office service store and buy an hour or two of time on a computer. Play with the machine. Buy a practice GRE review book which has a disk version of the guide and take the disk with you. A technical support rep will help you load it onto the computer so that you can practice taking a CAT.

2. Use the tutorials! CAT GRE practice tests begin with a tutorial program which shows the test taker how to use a mouse, how to select an answer, how to use the testing tools and how to scroll. Time spent on tutorials
    is extremely valuable, even if the student is computer literate, since it shows them the idiosyncrasies of the CAT program e.g., how to indicate an answer, how to change an answer, how to move forward and backward, and what the various screen icons mean.

3. Practice, practice practice!!! There is a direct correlation between the amount of hours spent on practice exams and with actual GRE exam scores.

TestSmarts on Day of Exam

1. Biorhythms count. Some of us are morning people; some afternoon. Schedule your appointment for the GRE for a time when you are likely to be at your peak.

2. Set your watch to exam time. At the beginning of each test section, set your watch to 12:00. Then, all you have to do is glance quickly to see how much of the section has passed.

3. Dismiss the directions. The on-screen directions do not disappear automatically. Instead, you have to dismiss them by clicking on the Dismiss Directions: box. Do this immediately so you can get started on the test.

4. Scrolling. In many computer programs, when a body of text is too long to be displayed in its entirety on the screen, you have the option of scrolling through the text. You can scroll up or down. While your first experience with
    the scroll function may be a bit frustrating because it can be very sensitive, you should

5. Take mental breaks. The GRE is an arduous task. There is no way that you can maintain concentration throughout the entire exam. There will be times when your attention begins to flag. Learn to recognize this. If you find that you are reading and rereading the same line without understanding:

Close eyes.
    Take deep breath (or two!)
    Get back to work

6. Dont spin wheels by spending too much time on any one question. Give it some thought, take your best shot and move along.

GRE Prep for Verbal

-Learn what sorts of strategies will prepare you the most for the Verbal problems on the GRE.

GRE Prep Verbal strategies include:

1.Flying Over the Passage

2.Creating a Tentative Summary

3.Openings and Endings

4.Using Kitchen Logic

5.Getting into the Author's Mind

6.Emotional Words

7.Finding the Key Words

8.Making Proper Inferences

9.Applying Ideas for Generalizations

10.Using Context Clues

11.Breaking down Passage Organization

12.First Word Analysis

13.Understanding the Intimidation

14.Finding Your Optimal Pace

15.Don't be a Perfectionist

16.Factually Correct, but Actually Wrong

17.Different Viewpoints

18.Extraneous Information

GRE Prep for Quantitative

-Learn how to master any problem you may encounter on the GRE Quantitative. We review what the problem types will look like and how to solve them all with minimal effort.

GRE Prep for Quantitative strategies cover:

1.Mathematical Reasoning

2.Question Types

3.Arithmetic

4.Divisibility

5.Multiplication

6.Addition

7.Subtraction

8.Evens and Odds

9.Prime Numbers

10.Percents

11.Square of a Number

12.Exponents

13.Roots

14.Averages

GRE Prep for Analytical Writing

-Learn how to write a great essay on any topic you may face on the GRE Analytical Writing.

GRE Prep Analytical Writing strategies include:

1.Planning Stage

2.Sticking to the Plan

3.Reviewing the Plan

4.Brainstorming Smart

5.Making the Cuts

6.Ending at the Start

7.Staying Consistent

8.Maintaining the Flow

9.Backing up Your Points

10.Using Proper Grammar

11.Watching Your Vocabulary

12.Avoiding Tunnel Vision

13.Just Do It

14.Conclusion is Review

15.Communicating Reason, not Passion

16.Answering the Why?

Source-internet
  • rosh009
    rosh009
    thanks to all the above for the info. on GRE.
    i would like to know how much of a weightage will be given to the percentages obtained in BE/BTECH while being processed for a MS seat by an US univ.
  • kings12
    kings12
    is it SATs upgraded version for postgraduates?
    its vocabulary is very hard
  • suhas
    suhas
    yeah coool.. this will be useful for all GRE aspirants..
  • mouni
    mouni
    Hi,

This is a great thread. Some good tips, learning material and strategies are found here:

Admin Note: Enough advertising, Mouni. πŸ˜€
  • kamskans
    kamskans
    rosh009
    thanks to all the above for the info. on GRE.
    i would like to know how much of a weightage will be given to the percentages obtained in BE/BTECH while being processed for a MS seat by an US univ.
    I have got the same question. 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I personally think your college/university performance does not matter. Because, if students' profiles are to be compared, they need to be compared on few parameters which are common to each student.

But of course, your extra-curricular activities, participation in technical events will matter. If you get a special status on CE Forums, I believe it would matter a lot too.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    kamskans
    I have got the same question. 😁
    It matters!!

The below information has been colledcted from i20fevercom..
    Bachelors Score / Percentage 25
    Academic Background (Schooling) 5
    GRE Score 25
    TOEFL Score 15
    Projects & Paper Publications 10
    Work Experience 10
    SOP & Resume Presentation 5
    Timing & University Selection 5

and the 25 points as well depend on your percentile
    university topper get whole chunk of 25 points.
    80% gets 23 points and so on...
    and depends on your scholling as well.. but not to a greater extent..

Biggie... dont you think they wil be comparing profiles of students atleast from same university?
  • kamskans
    kamskans
    Thanks to Biggie and Durga. So ultimately the GRE and Toefl scores matter a lot dont they and Experience carries marks too is it. Never knew that. I've got 75 so was a bit apprenhensive about taking GRE fearing I would'nt get a good university!

Thanks for the information.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hey!!!

U don't need to be...

75 without GRE ???good maan!!

and the above stats are only for students to know their range and select universities as accordingly .....so chill..

when you are applying just keep in mind ... incase you are applying for 4 universities then apply for 2 good universities... and 1 mediocre and 1 such that what ever might happen you would get an entry in it...

πŸ˜€
  • kamskans
    kamskans
    You really think so. I had never discussed this with any one. Now will start searching. I really needed that and let me see how far things go. Thanks a lot Durga for giving me a start.
    Will be back if have any more to ask. Thanks!!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    no worries mate!!!😁
  • Engineer Taiwo
    Engineer Taiwo
    😁it is a nice thing joining this community. i am very sure it is going to be a nice thing for me.😎
  • Engineer Taiwo
    Engineer Taiwo
    can i get a friend from mechanical
  • Jaz69
    Jaz69
    Hello...

Have a few questions about GRE:
    - Does it apply to anyone in US going for their masters?
    - Only required in US or applies to other countries too (like Canada)?

Thanks...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

TT- Table tennis... Our Biggi's one of the favourate game... Some of my friends are good friends of biggi... They told me that, "he is not only a GOD admin......
I am re-introducing my-self upon advice of Biggie... Name: Pradeep Kumar Proffession : Engineer Work Place: Sigma Solutions, Hyderabad. Role in organization : Founder, MD and Mentor. Technical intrests: C,...
Hello CEans! πŸ˜€ I'll trouble you - a little 😁 Its now mandatory to enter your engineering trade while registering on the forums. Those who are already registered; please update...
m doin aero engineering ..... can any body suggest me wat to in my summer vacation, jst finished my 2nd yr..... wanted to hav some foreign experiene can nyboy suggest...
In this Game, each word ends with 'ion'...and the next word has to be started from the second letter of the word.I hope u got it after all its Easy!!...