1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What is difference between Data Science & Big Data & Data Engineering?

Question asked by Karshil Sheth in #ML & AI #Career Help #Big Data on Dec 23, 2019
Karshil Sheth
Karshil Sheth · Dec 23, 2019
Rank C2 - EXPERT

If I am looking from career perspective what should I start with. I have knowledge of hadoop and spark as it was in my course, but as a fresher where should i dive in ?

Posted in: #ML & AI #Career Help #Big Data
Divisha Madupalli
Divisha Madupalli · Dec 23, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Data Science deals with the cleansing of the data, preparation and its analysis. It is done for both the structural and unstructured data. They concentrate and provide new views and plans provided by the data engg for better working of their firm. 

Both the data scientists and data engg work on the same but the data scientists have advanced analytical skills than the data engg as they provide new hindsight. 

Data Engg is responsible for maintaining architectures of the large databases and processing systems. They test, design and develop them too.

Big Data as the word suggests it means to maintain huge data that cannot be processed effectively with our traditional techniques. You have to collect the  useful data from huge raw data in a cost-effective manner and store it. 

When you see the salary-wise the average according to various resources we may conclude that data scientists and data engg vary by work and place and earn more than big data engg.

Then again as a fresher, we always try to look for a job that is passionate and makes us work with heart in it. 

Hope this helped you. :)

Karshil Sheth
Karshil Sheth · Dec 24, 2019
Rank C2 - EXPERT

okay but technically do big data and data science are similar only? I mean what type of work we are doing in big data is like analyzing the large data-set using framework is similar to what is in data science. Here also we are analyzing the data set. But we use python instead of hadoop. So my question is, if we are doing same things then, what to use over each of them to get better and faster output and also reduce the cost of operations?

Teja Reddy
Teja Reddy · Dec 25, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

Data science is an interdisciplinary subject that makes use of methods and tools from statistics and computer science to process data in order to gain meaningful information and knowledge. 

Data engineers are skilled in such a way that they love both data and building things that are useful to others. Data engineers are responsible for data infrastructure that is built and maintained by the data engineers.

Data engineers work to support data scientists and analysts by providing infrastructure and tools that can be used to solve the business problems.

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Dec 27, 2019
Rank B3 - LEADER

Big data and spark have defined objectives , what I mean is you have to create tables by segregating tables using hive or something and create data that can be consumed by a data scientist, but a data scientist have to look at the data and understand and create models out of it. Since you are experienced with Hadoop and spark, I would suggest you to learn Scala and move ahead. Salaries are almost same so no issue about that.

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Dec 27, 2019
Rank B3 - LEADER

Big data and spark have defined objectives , what I mean is you have to create tables by segregating tables using hive or something and create data that can be consumed by a data scientist, but a data scientist have to look at the data and understand and create models out of it. Since you are experienced with Hadoop and spark, I would suggest you to learn Scala and move ahead. Salaries are almost same so no issue about that.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up