Current transformer

Any body can tell what is burden in current transformer?

Replies

• manoj_2all
    manoj_2all
    The burden of a current transformer is indicated in its nameplate. The burden is rated in VA. such as 15 VA or 25 VA. The rated VA indicates the load the transformer can take.

The current transformer is connected to a measuring instrument or a protective relay by means of wires. The burden on the current transformer is imposed by the connected device and the impedance of the connecting wires which connect it. The VA load of the device can be obtained from the datasheet provided by the manufacturer. The total burden is the sum of the burden of the connected devices and the resistance of the wires. The inductive component of the wire impedance is usually neglected as it is minimal.

The burden of a current transformer can increase over time as the resistance of the connecting wires may slightly increase due to age, change in temperature and loosening of connections. Hence, the current transformer should never be loaded to 100% of its capacity.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜• Ive had been watching lot of movies online lately,so there had been error msg showing low virtual memory.So to avoid this msg i increased virtual memory size ,but since...
Details about HEWITT company?
Please give me some mini projects using c language - that are not too basic. For example the roll call management systems and attendance systems are over done. I'm looking...
LET YOUR HEART BE IN PEACE Hi, Sir, i wanna method for increasing the pressure of the steam, can you guide me in what all ways can i do that,...
Hi, I am a 2nd year student doing B.Tech in Computers Stream. I want to go for summer training in the month of june and july(2009) for 6 weeks.Could you...