What is a reactive power? How will it get produced or absorbed?

When i ask this question to many they tell me the mathematical equation only. i need the exact explanation for it. How will it get produced or absorbed? which elements produce it or absorb it and how? Also want to know the significance of Reactive power in power systems. Thank you!!!

Replies

• grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Well even i was unfortunate like you to just live life by knowing them by equations (because even professors wouldn't know what exactly reactive power is ).
    But in final year it was important to understand them as it is very common during project vivas.
    So here i go :
    PART A:
    1]Every electrical load has many elements ,which are broadly classified for studies as resistors,inductors and capacitors.

2]You know that inductors and capacitors are energy storing devices.
    3]So during a cycle of AC supply for some duration L & C (inductors and capacitors) store energy but then they supply some power back to source.
    This power which flows back to source due to L&C is called is reactive power.

4]Hence reactive power is associated with energy transferred back from load to source.
    5]The net power which is associated with energy transferred from source to load is called as real power.

5]Where as the actual consumption of energy at load is represented by term apparent power.

Now significance
    a. Reactive power is responsible for maintaining voltage profile between sending and receiving end with in safe limits (Read about Ferrenti Effect).

b. Reactive power is important in motors to generate magnetic flux.

Reactive power if not maintained properly in power system it can lead complete breakdown of power grid.
    Hope that explains ๐Ÿ˜€
  • kiransabarish
    kiransabarish
    Well even i was unfortunate like you to just live life by knowing them by equations (because even professors wouldn't know what exactly reactive power is ).
    But in final year it was important to understand them as it is very common during project vivas.
    So here i go :
    PART A:
    1]Every electrical load has many elements ,which are broadly classified for studies as resistors,inductors and capacitors.

2]You know that inductors and capacitors are energy storing devices.
    3]So during a cycle of AC supply for some duration L & C (inductors and capacitors) store energy but then they supply some power back to source.
    This power which flows back to source due to L&C is called is reactive power.

4]Hence reactive power is associated with energy transferred back from load to source.
    5]The net power which is associated with energy transferred from source to load is called as real power.

5]Where as the actual consumption of energy at load is represented by term apparent power.

Now significance
    a. Reactive power is responsible for maintaining voltage profile between sending and receiving end with in safe limits (Read about Ferrenti Effect).

b. Reactive power is important in motors to generate magnetic flux.

Reactive power if not maintained properly in power system it can lead complete breakdown of power grid.
    Hope that explains ๐Ÿ˜€
    I think i got it!! but, can you explain the physical meaning of reactive power alongside the mathematical equations. I will be more clear by then. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    VI is the actual power produced in the source

VIcos(pi) is the actual power delivered at load
    It depends on the component used as a load Inductor or capacitor and leading lagging all come here

VIsin(pi) is the reactance of these devices and the power the generate in the reverse direction towards the source
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_reactive_power
  • kiransabarish
    kiransabarish
    jeffrey samuel
    VI is the actual power produced in the source

VIcos(pi) is the actual power delivered at load
    It depends on the component used as a load Inductor or capacitor and leading lagging all come here

VIsin(pi) is the reactance of these devices and the power the generate in the reverse direction towards the source
    Thank you!!!
  • kiransabarish
    kiransabarish
    grsalvi
    wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_reactive_power
    Thank you!!!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The need for thank you posts are not at all necessary just PM or wish'em in person cos all are here to help and to get helped

Anyways no mention
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    kiransabarish
    Thank you!!!
    welcome, it is the only site which explains reactive power the way we want (without equations )๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I bet you've seen the video and the new dancing style - which is basically a horse riding style dance. The video and the dance is going viral on the...
how can we show that the change in entropy of an ideal gas undergoing a polytropic process 1-2 is given by S2 - S1 = mCv (k - n) ln(V2/V1)...
is anybody have e book of "Principles of Abrasive Water Jet Machining by Momber, Andreas W., Kovacevic, Radovan , 1998," please send me e book if anybody have.
if anybody have any book or other material related to abrasive water jet machining please send me. its urgent!!!! Thanku
what is the real concepts between video conferencing and video streaming? and what is the contribution of programming in creating the video conferencing system?