What is a pump and what are its applications?

I am too lazy to find answers on my own. what is pump? what is its application? Can someone explain me the terms in detail. I would appreciate any kind of informative replies.

Replies

• NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    It is a machine or a device used for raising,compressing or transferring fluids. Apllications:Industrial,residential,commercial and other applications.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I trust that this a serious question. It is difficult to become a mech E without coming across some pump or other. Any fluid moving application (or even slurries) uses some kind of pump or other.
    Pump Types | Pump Applications Pump Design Equations
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    A pump is a device, where mechanical action takes place for moving the liquid.

pumps are used in water supply, irrigation, gasoline supply, Air Conditioning systems, Refrigeration , chemical movement, Sewage movement, flood control, marine services.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I general question requires a general answer.
    A pump is a device which is used to increase the enerygy of fluids.
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    types of pump?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jaspal rautela
    types of pump?
    Why don't you visit the link of engineers' edge provided above and read up? It has enough material to keep you busy for a few days.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    jaspal rautela
    what is pump? what is its application?
    in simple language u can say that a pump is a device which is used to change mechanical energy in to potential energy by increasing the pressure of fluid....
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    where it is used?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    water or any liquid usually flows from a higher level to a lower level. but a pump is a device which makes the reverse of this possible.

pumps are used everywhere, and its types are as diverse as I.C engines

based on the types of applications there are different types.

pumps are used for residential applications, where they are used for moving water and sewage.

in industrial applications they are used in hydraulic systems, powerplants , etc.

and in automobiles they are used for fuel injection, power steering etc.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    jaspal rautela
    types of pump?
    Pumps are characterized into two major categories:
    Positive Displacement vs Centrifugal.
    They can further be broken down into sub-categories.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    Pumps are characterized into two major categories😛ositive Displacement vs Centrifugal.
    Ejectors, magneto hydro dynamic devices and other impulse based pumps do not fall into these large classes of pumps.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Magneto hydrodynamic (MHD) pump fabricated with ceramic tapes
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    it is used to raise the level of fluid...u can see in ur practical life that in room cooler a pump is used which is for raising the level of water...and it increases the pressure of fluid a bit...u can see in the problem of thermodynamics that pump work is genrally neglacted because it works very less to increase pressure and increase a little pressure...genrally it is used to raise the level of fluid from a lower height to a higher height it is the main work of pump...
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    u
    jaspal rautela
    where it is used?
    can see the use of pump in ur room cooler ,in this it suck water and raise it to a definite height to wet...
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    Pump is a device used to pump water from lower level to higher level.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    Pumps are characterized into two major categories:
    Positive Displacement vs Centrifugal.
    They can further be broken down into sub-categories.
    And here is the difference between these two types :

positive displacement : supplies a given quantity of fluid periodically. they include the reciprocating pump, which employs the crank-slider mechanism, the gear pump, etc.

dynamic or centrifugal: can supply any amount of fluid at any time. they include the centrifugal pumps in which the main working member is the impeller.

If a positive displacement pump, is used in a hydraulic circuit, then it would be required to include a pressure-relief valve too, because if the pump keeps working and all the valves in the circuit are closed, then pressure keeps building up, leading to the explosion of either the pump or the pipes, based on which is of a stronger design.

but if a centrifugal pump was used , and if all the valves are closed , then the impeller would just rotate, without building any excess pressure in the lines.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is function of chocke valve and throttle valve?
name of the refrigerants which is used in refrigerator?
I am Allwyn Stanley.I am from India.I am a mechanical engineer. Apart from engineering I love to play the guitar.. I am new here and so lookin forward to make...
Embedded System Based Access Module for Motor Controller Chopper Based Speed Control of DC Motor Using FPGA Controller Automatic Railway Signaling System at Diamond Crossing using PIC V/F Method Speed...
i want to know that what are the important software a student needs to learn about in the college life to be mostly prepared for a job. Is there any...