What is the Role of Decompression Lever in IC Engine?

What is the Role of Decompression Lever in IC Engine?

Now there is an animal which calls itself a "single cylinder, 4-stroke, water cooled, diesel engine".

It is usually found in the thermal labs of all colleges, and i don't know of what practical use it comes to.

It is always started by hand-cranking, and while a person is cranking this, he has to lift up a small lever called the decompression lever, present near the cylinder head, rotate the crank handle really fast, and then finally release this lever.

as soon as this lever is released, the engine starts roaring to life.

now tell me , what is this decompression lever, and what is its mechanism ?

Update: Role of Decompression Lever

In an internal combustion (IC) engine, the decompression lever is a mechanical component that serves an important role in starting the engine.

It is typically found in diesel engines, although some older gasoline engines may also have a similar mechanism.

The decompression lever, also known as a compression release lever or starting aid lever, is used to alleviate the high compression pressure within the engine's cylinders, making it easier to turn over the engine during starting.

The primary function of the decompression lever is to temporarily reduce the compression ratio within the combustion chamber, which facilitates the engine's initial rotation.

This is particularly crucial in diesel engines because they rely on the heat generated by the high compression of air within the cylinder to ignite the fuel.

By reducing the compression pressure during starting, the decompression lever allows the engine to overcome the resistance caused by the high compression and enables the necessary conditions for successful ignition.

When the decompression lever is engaged or activated, it opens a valve or mechanism that allows the built-up compression pressure to escape from the cylinder before the piston reaches the top dead center (TDC) position.

This release of pressure reduces the overall resistance faced by the starter motor, making it easier to crank the engine.

Once the engine is running, the decompression lever is disengaged, and the compression release valve is closed, restoring the normal compression ratio within the cylinders.

It's important to note that the decompression lever is only used during engine starting and is typically not engaged during regular engine operation.

Once the engine is running, the high compression ratio is necessary for efficient combustion and power generation.

The decompression lever is particularly useful in situations where the engine might face difficulties starting, such as cold weather conditions or when the engine has been inactive for an extended period.

By reducing the compression pressure during starting, the lever helps prevent excessive strain on the starter motor and the entire starting system.

In summary, the decompression lever in an IC engine, specifically in diesel engines, is a mechanical device used to temporarily reduce the compression pressure within the combustion chamber during starting.

By alleviating the high compression, it facilitates the engine's rotation and helps overcome the resistance encountered during the starting process.

Once the engine is running, the decompression lever is disengaged, restoring the normal compression ratio for efficient combustion and power production.

Replies

• SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    I am not much clear about it, but this is what i had understood

I too had found it in our college Thermal lab.
    This is used in conventional engines. The pressure to be build up in the cylinder of IC engine is high, and with the need of such high pressure its really hard for a person to crank it.

To facilitate this decompression lever is placed.During cranking the engine,decompression lever is lifted up thereby creating a vent to the cylinder and person doesn't feels hard to crank it. As soon as it's felt that flywheel had got enough inertia the decompression lever is released. Thus vent is closed and pressure builds up inside the cylinder and because of this pressure ignition occurs and thus the engine gets started (roars to life😛)
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    That seems to make sense.

Anyways what have others got to say.

tagging at the i.c engine expert #-Link-Snipped-#
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    What #-Link-Snipped-# said is correct. Just want to add that ,when you are pressing the decompression lever its not a vent that is opening up but you are actually keeping the exhaust valve open.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Has anyone checked this video out?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We know that the optical media is dying and it's been a while you used your DVD drive. But have you ever thought of converting your DVD drive into a...
The D.C series wound motor has the following characteristics: 1. It gives high torque and high speed. 2. speed and torque continue to rise as soon as the machine is...
Facebook was being very selective in announcing the gadgets that can run latest facebook home app. However, MoDaCo founder Paul O'Brian has come up with simple steps that describe how...
Here's wishing our old CEan and more importantly, an amazing VoiCE Contributor a very very Happy Birthday! 🎉 Keep being awesome!
First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post or not but here we are. I request mods to move this discussion to appropriate...