What is a coupling capacitor?

Hello all , I want to know what is meant by a coupling capacitor? I googled up to find that In analog circuits, a coupling capacitor is used to connect two circuits such that only the AC signal from the first circuit can pass through to the next while DC is blocked. Can someone here explain this in detail? Please help.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    A coupling capacitor is a capacitor used to separate the various stages in a circuit, for example, to separate the stages of a multistaged amplifier. It separates the dc and ac components and 'couples' the output of one stage to the input of the next stage.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    watever silver said is correct,but the basic function of coupling capacitors is too remove noise or other disturbances and make sure the output of previous stage is compatible with one were it is inputted!!!
  • r6rammy
    r6rammy
    do i use it for adding dc to an ac signal???
    I am planning to do differential conductance measurement and i need to add the sine out from the lock in amplifier to a dc sourcemeter, how do i go about adding both together? Just join them????
  • me_crazy
    me_crazy
    Take a look here:
    Capacitive Coupling
    #-Link-Snipped-#

I hope they'll help you.
  • augustin87r
    augustin87r
    Hello,

I have going through theoretic details about coupling capacitance. I have to exercise somehow. On this schematic, what are the coupling capacitors? I know a few , especially the electrolitic ones, but can somebody tell me all of them so that i can check my guesses...BEst regards, Augustin

#-Link-Snipped-#

Uploaded with #-Link-Snipped-#

the picture is larger on the host site
  • akshay04907
    akshay04907
    but sharat why it is necessary to block the dc component?why they r source of noise only?
  • cranky
    cranky
    sauravgoswami
    watever silver said is correct,but the basic function of coupling capacitors is too remove noise or other disturbances and make sure the output of previous stage is compatible with one were it is inputted!!!
    hey i guess the noise here refers to the dc component silver mentioned
  • cranky
    cranky
    akshay04907
    but sharat why it is necessary to block the dc component?why they r source of noise only?
    It becomes necessary to block dc components cause-for one,you want your signal with zero as reference,as in no offset...secondly,you do analysis about the operating point and hence,you don't want to disturb the bias

* if Someone could say if this is right
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    you are absolutely right
    cranky
    It becomes necessary to block dc components cause-for one,you want your signal with zero as reference,as in no offset...secondly,you do analysis about the operating point and hence,you don't want to disturb the bias

• cranky
    cranky
    @shreyas89:thumbs up 😀
  • Bags003
    Bags003
    It helps to isolate the DC bias settings of the two coupled circuits.
  • electronics12
    electronics12
    A coupling capacitor is a capacitor that allows AC signals to go through but not DC. DC signals are blocked. This is useful for many applications such as when biasing microphones. The DC is needed just for power but should not be transferred to the second half of the circuit.

A good article for reference on coupling capacitors is:
    What is a Coupling Capacitor?
  • larry80
    larry80
    A single capacitor that is used to link one amplifier stage to another is often called a coupling capacitor.

_____
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • naveee
    naveee
    silverscorpion
    A coupling capacitor is a capacitor used to separate the various stages in a circuit, for example, to separate the stages of a multistaged amplifier. It separates the dc and ac components and 'couples' the output of one stage to the input of the next stage.
    if both AC an DC are separated wat component will through the remaining circuit ?????
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    r6rammy
    do i use it for adding dc to an ac signal???
    I am planning to do differential conductance measurement and i need to add the sine out from the lock in amplifier to a dc sourcemeter, how do i go about adding both together? Just join them????
    not possible to add a DC signal to AC signal using a coupling capacitor it prevents the DC component completely and passes the AC component furthur
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naveee
    if both AC an DC are separated wat component will through the remaining circuit ?????
    my post #17 answers your qn also i guess
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    cranky

dc component is not the only source of noise any where

in multi stage if DC passes further there is a possibility of shifting the bias and also to cause signal loss

this can be avoided if we use a coupling capacitor
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    a simple capacitor can do blocking of dc...then whats is the need of coupling capacitor??
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    coupling capacitor is used for coupling AC signal from one point to another

what is that you can't understand in it ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, can any one Please tell me how to calculate ROM size for the source code. E.g:- Imagine my source code is 1000Lines of Code. What shall be the ROM(Microcontroller)...
hi friends. I am going to do project on minimizing the power consumption.so by running the air cooler with solar energy.plz tell me comments and suggestions on this project........
Register now at the website , a place where students from all over gather to learn, grow and have fun discussing a wide range of topics in forums. This site...
Hi ... I am a II year ece student....do we have any software to perform the Electronic circuits..other than Pspice/orcad
Can you explain what is recursion function and how to stop a recursion function? It would be helpful if you offer some code examples and explanation.