What happens when we delete a file?

Hello,

I just have a question what does practically happen when we delete some files. It creates us the space but where does the deleted file vanishes.

Replies

• siraj.mussafirr
    siraj.mussafirr
    The file content is not actually removed. Whatever you see as a file icon is just a pointer/symbolic link to the actual file location. When you delete a file the complete disk space alloted earlier is send back to the free pool, but still the content remain there and is inaccessible. this is why you actually see free space. Also next time a new file is added to the disk, consider this region is selected to store the file content then the new file contents overwrite the previous contents and create a new pointer/symbolic link for the new file.
    It is this property of Disk that is used to recover impportant files that you deleted unknowingly. This same property is used for cyber forensics to trace back evidences for cyber crimes and any important documents that the convict deletes for his safety.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    When you delete a file,It doesn't get permanently deleted.It's still there but you can't access it until you use an application or software coded for data recovering purpose.

When data is deleted,the link is removed & virtual empty space is created.Even though file is deleted,it is not permanently removed.Only link is removed,so it acts as empty space.
    Now,when new data is added to the system,it will replace the empty space with newdata & old data whose link was removed is now permanently destroyed & inaccessible no matter what!
    Even data recovery softwares can't help you if the sectors are replaced by new data.
  • Geetam Bharadwaj
    Geetam Bharadwaj
    Thanks a lot Abhishek....
  • avii
    avii
    #-Link-Snipped-# - here is some pretty good discussion #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CE Weekend Discussion was conducted online on CE on last Saturday between 3-4 PM. The turnout was low because many CEans thought it'd be on Sunday. The topic of the...
This debate is scheduled on Sunday, May 12, 2013 between 3-4 PM (IST). The thread will remain closed until the scheduled time. Please read announcement for the details.
Here's the topic of CE Weekend Discussion #3 - Are engineers destroying our planet or building a better one?​ ​Schedule: Sunday, 12 May, 2013 | Time : 3 - 4...
i have made a java program to read a file which contains chinese characters now i want to insert these chinese characters in database mysql ,i have allready made a...
Suppose i want to use the service provided by any enterprise application. If i create a client application that will send the request to the server on every millisecond then...