What happen with other six addresses in BCD number system ?

As we know BCD(binary coded decimal) numbers representation are used in computers.
With the 4-bits space you can able to address 16 numbers.But in BCD number system you only addressed 10(0-9) numbers.
Can any one tell me what about the other 6 addresses...?
Is it loosed....?
Why don't we use hexadecimal number system for representation ?

Replies

• shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Well..as far I know the processor uses BCD system only for representaion & not for actual calculations & addressing.That happens in HEX format.
    As for BCD after adding 6 it becomes readily available ofr addition-subtraction, also the same in hex is quite complicated so BCD is better for represenational purposes.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Thanks shreyasm !!
    Actually i have a conflict about this.But now it's cleared.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

flow sheet of some chemical production processes, flow sheet for chemical processes can provided as per your requirements, which could help in your project works.
how to let terminal display the statue bar of command. like tar -xzcf file.tar.gz [++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++] i know this statue bar can see in wget
Hey guys, I have been researching online for summer work in the computing field in the USA for next summer 2011. I live in Scotland and have the organisation part...
Hey guys! So, I guess this is my first real post here, so if this has covered-- I apologize in advance. What are your guys thoughts on using Natural Language...
Hello, I wish to join IEEE under the student membership category, I wish to know the validity of the subscription if i join right now, (is it till october 2011??)....