What forces act on spring?

when a spring is expanded or contracted, what forces act on the material of the spring considering a very minute part (dx).

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A spring is nothing more than a straight wire. It is coiled to make it compact. When a spring is tensioned all that happens is that the wire is twisted. It is equivalent to keeping one end of a straight wire fixed and twisting the far end through an angle. The stress is pure torsion.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    another force which acts on the spring is shear force . it is the force which acts at right angles to the plane of the wire cross-section and tends to cut it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

why car engines are made to run on diesel, petrol or cng only. why don't we find any car running on kerosene.
In a chess game, you are given 8 queens (color doesn't matter)and you have to place them on the board such that no queen kills any other (or is under...
Micromax X259 is the latest introduction in the economy phone market by the company that set a revolution in the mobile markets of India. The phone employs Solar Energy to...
Sir how to make a Printed circuit board (PCB) in home?? I've seen some techniques but i didn't found those chemicals like ferric chloride.. I need help for this sir...
CrazyEngineers conference is our casual online discussion facility for the members with 10+ posts on CE. We're running it as an experiment for about a week or two. This thread...