what factors should an fresher learn before saying yes to employer? and to contract?

what factors should a fresher learn before saying yes to employer? and to contract? and most importantly how should one get the details?how can they approach? I know some employers dont want to give such details..right?

Replies

• optimystix
    optimystix
    Re: what factors should an fresher learn before saying yes to employer? and to contra

nice question. even I want to know about it.

Ive seen some senior friends of mine getting selected through campus interview and then being made to sit for a year or so till they are later recruited into the company. But since those people were under contract by the company, they couldnt look for job elsewhere and had to waste a precious year or so.
    so what are the factors one should be aware of, before signing onto a contract ? so that one does not face difficulties later on.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: what factors should an fresher learn before saying yes to employer? and to contra

csiscool
    what factors should a fresher learn before saying yes to employer? and to contract? and most importantly how should one get the details?how can they approach? I know some employers dont want to give such details..right?
    There are several factors and I'm glad you asked this question. Since your discipline is Computer engineering; I'll answer from the viewpoint of a CS engineer seeking job in an IT Industry.

Lot of employers don't really expect candidates to ask questions to them, once an offer is made. But before you accept the job (rather, join the company) I'd want you to pay attention to following factors -

1. The nature of work offered to you: This is most important. There are many companies who simply hire candidates and call them 'resources'. Then the selected candidates are put through 3 months of training on all technologies the company works on and then distributed among various projects, without considering candidates interest.

Ask your employers whether they can give you an idea of the nature of work that will be offered to you.

2. Work hours
    : Lot of fresh graduates do not care about this, which I believe is a big mistakes. If you do not prefer working in night shifts; make sure that your job won't involve night shifts. Make sure that the job you're being offered offers suitable work hours/shifts.

For example, if you are planning to go for higher studies after say one or two years into regular job; you can plan your study hours accordingly.

3. Location
    : Again, a very important point. Are you willing to relocate to another city? Lot of my friend suffered because they were sent to the cities they couldn't adjust to. Ask the employers about the location where you'll be working. Whether the job involves lot of travel and to where. Also, can you shift location if you wish to once you join the company.

4. Growth Opportunities: You might think its too early to ask; but having an idea will surely help to plan your future. Most of the times, candidates select whatever job is offered to them (which is also a good move!). However, I think it would be nice to have an idea about the various growth opportunities in organization and the time-frame between the promotions.

5. Read the contract: Reach the contract between you and the company; which usually is in the favor of company ๐Ÿ˜€ . Also evaluate the exit criteria before you accept and sign it. Don't just sign it in excitement of getting a job. If you aren't comfortable with the agreement; you should better look for other opportunity than repainting later.

I welcome suggestions, contribution from other members ๐Ÿ˜€

optimystix
    nice question. even I want to know about it.

Ive seen some senior friends of mine getting selected through campus interview and then being made to sit for a year or so till they are later recruited into the company. But since those people were under contract by the company, they couldnt look for job elsewhere and had to waste a precious year or so.
    so what are the factors one should be aware of, before signing onto a contract ? so that one does not face difficulties later on.
    Contract positions won't really involve idle sitting; as far as I know. On the other hand, lot of CMMI Level 5 companies may hire candidates in bulk and make half of them sit idle in anticipation of a big project. Many times; a company must show its 'immediately available for work' strength to clients to win the project; that's why lot of candidates are made to sit idle for long time. This could be disastrous!

I personally would never sign a contract that requires me to be with the company for minimum 2 years. I'd rather wait for another opportunity.

I hope this helps. Do post if you have further questions. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • optimystix
    optimystix

there were a few senior friends who got selected into Infosys and some of them were made to wait for more than 6-10 months after graduation. Infosys website has all of their training related resources published online and these people were asked to do self study till they were officially inducted. Some of them were really good students and I feel it was unfortunate for them that those few months went waste. I understand the reason given by the company was the recession but its hardly an excuse. Such things will continue for a long time. Now the European countries and Dubai are under serious financial trouble and many other countries are now falling into the pit. We need to make sure our time is not getting wasted .

and what should a student do if he gets a job offer in his 3rd year of graduation? should he wait for the final year to get a better offer ? or should he grab hold of the opportunity that comes his way?

and what about company selection ? some say that for freshers, a small-medium scale company is better than a big scale one, as progress opportunities and other job porspects are better in a smaller organisation while one may have to wait for years to even get promoted in a bigger organisation. I have seen this in many cases (mechanical field) but I want to know what is the scenario in IT industry.

and Biggie, why not make this into an organized, full fledged blogpost for VOICE with all the points U've and a recommended solution to each? It will be a helpful one to many people.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Indeed, I'm in the process of writing a blog post about career decision making. Its still a draft. I'll turn it into a full fledged post soon.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs

optimystix
    there were a few senior friends who got selected into Infosys and some of them were made to wait for more than 6-10 months after graduation. Infosys website has all of their training related resources published online and these people were asked to do self study till they were officially inducted. Some of them were really good students and I feel it was unfortunate for them that those few months went waste. I understand the reason given by the company was the recession but its hardly an excuse. Such things will continue for a long time. Now the European countries and Dubai are under serious financial trouble and many other countries are now falling into the pit. We need to make sure our time is not getting wasted .

and what should a student do if he gets a job offer in his 3rd year of graduation? should he wait for the final year to get a better offer ? or should he grab hold of the opportunity that comes his way?

and what about company selection ? some say that for freshers, a small-medium scale company is better than a big scale one, as progress opportunities and other job porspects are better in a smaller organisation while one may have to wait for years to even get promoted in a bigger organisation. I have seen this in many cases (mechanical field) but I want to know what is the scenario in IT industry.

and Biggie, why not make this into an organized, full fledged blogpost for VOICE with all the points U've and a recommended solution to each? It will be a helpful one to many people.
    As a First Step I Subscribed to Thread ๐Ÿ˜€

big_K:- Thanks for the informative reply. These informations are indeed needed for me too..I was also searching for the same informations. But please tell how should one get the details ? as csiscool said, most of the emplyers dont want to talk about these details/

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody please suggest any useful link to start learning LINUX(ubuntu)?๐Ÿ˜•
VNIT Nagpur along with INDIAN AIR FORCE Maintenance Command Nagpur & RKNEC Nagpur is organizing Fourth ISSS National Conference on Microsystems, Smart Materials, Structures. Date: Sept 30 - Oct 01,...
Hi how many RPM require to cut thr gravity And to lift 50 to 60 kg Weight vertically........ replyy on my mobile give miss call
CEans, We are planning for round 2 of CE promotions among colleges & universities. In the round 2; we are planning to make a rocking poster (with your feedback, of...
CEan you know my blog address(If not see my signature). It is not fascinating right?.I Want to improve my both blogs Java Programmer's Blog and also for Tech Savvy's Blog...