What exactly session layer does?

Please help me to know what exactly session layer does in practical....
Theoritically I know it manages the sessions between the host n remote system...
But how exactly this happens, with a real example..
What are sessions??
In transport layer the tcp or udp is established, then wat are the sessions ??
Please help me to know about it

Replies

• Shah Aadil
    Shah Aadil
    A session is a semi-permanent interactive information interchange, also known as a dialogue, a conversation or a meeting, between two or more communicating devices, or between a computer and user

The session layer provides the mechanism for opening, closing and managing a session between end-user application processes, i.e., a semi-permanent dialogue. Communication sessions consist of requests and responses that occur between applications. Session-layer services are commonly used in application environments that make use of remote procedure calls(RPCs).
    An example of a session-layer protocol is the OSI protocol suit session-layer protocol, also known as X.225 or ISO 8327. In case of a connection loss this protocol may try to recover the connection. If a connection is not used for a long period, the session-layer protocol may close it and re-open it. It provides for either full duplex or half duplex operation and provides synchronizationSynchronization Pointpoints in the stream of exchanged messages.
    Other examples of session layer implementations include zone information protocol(ZIP) – the Apple Talk protocol that coordinates the name binding process, and Session Control Protocol (SCP) – the DECnetPhase IV session-layer protocol.
    Within the service layering semantics of the OSI network architecture, the session layer responds to service requests from the Presentation Layerresentation layer and issues service requests to the transport layer

It provides the Authentication and authorization to the communication. you must have seen the websites, when we left the cursor stable without any movement after sometime when we are back it says session expired or log in again. it is because of session layer
  • tanvisharma
    tanvisharma
    Thank you....
  • Shah Aadil
    Shah Aadil
    NO Worries 😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Shah Aadil
    A session is a semi-permanent interactive information interchange, also known as a dialogue, a conversation or a meeting, between two or more communicating devices, or between a computer and user

The session layer provides the mechanism for opening, closing and managing a session between end-user application processes, i.e., a semi-permanent dialogue. Communication sessions consist of requests and responses that occur between applications. Session-layer services are commonly used in application environments that make use of remote procedure calls(RPCs).
    An example of a session-layer protocol is the OSI protocol suit session-layer protocol, also known as X.225 or ISO 8327. In case of a connection loss this protocol may try to recover the connection. If a connection is not used for a long period, the session-layer protocol may close it and re-open it. It provides for either full duplex or half duplex operation and provides synchronizationpoints in the stream of exchanged messages.
    Other examples of session layer implementations include zone information protocol(ZIP) – the Apple Talk protocol that coordinates the name binding process, and Session Control Protocol (SCP) – the DECnetPhase IV session-layer protocol.
    Within the service layering semantics of the OSI network architecture, the session layer responds to service requests from the Presentation Layerresentation layer and issues service requests to the transport layer

It provides the Authentication and authorization to the communication. you must have seen the websites, when we left the cursor stable without any movement after sometime when we are back it says session expired or log in again. it is because of session layer
    Copy-Pasted from Session %28Computer Science%29 and Session Layer article.
    #-Link-Snipped-# Please avoid word-to-word copying from legit articles.
  • tanvisharma
    tanvisharma
    Still can any body help please......
    I want practical example...
    Because I am not able to understand.....
    :-(
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Lets take an example of CE, how CE identifies that user is online for a time period after login and request is coming from particular user.
    Simple way is username is unique and with every request username will be exchanged between server and browser but, it not secure yet you it's kind of session management.
    How about, when user logged in, push a cookie (encrypted textfile in browser space to identify the user) .
    OR, assign a session-key (randomly defined) which will be send to browser and receive back to server every time and verified for user.
  • tanvisharma
    tanvisharma
    Ok thank you
    I am clear....
    Thank you

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After the November release of Linux Mint 14 - Nadia, here's a significant update from the developers team with Linux Mint 15 'Olivia' featuring Cinnamon 1.8 and MATE 1.6. So,...
hello friends, I have recently confused a time invariant system with a dynamic system. Could you please help me get out of this situation. Also describe these systems in terms...
Just a couple of weeks back, we told you about ASUS's Teaser For Computex 2013. Though not a lot of fanfare, but ASUS did make its mark and created a...
Motorola thinks that humans are wasting a lot of energy & time in remembering & typing passwords. Motorola has a fix - using body tatto or an FDA approved pill...
I'll give them a head start - Classic Question: Why did you choose engineering? While on internship - The effect of theory exams -