What exactly is a 'REFERENCE' ?

I am quite confused with the term reference that people talk about so much now a days around me. They say that their brother sister etc etc will refer them in a company and they will get job despite scoring average marks. What exactly is this reference? A kind of back door process? The thing I know is that there will be referral placement drive of countries where only those candidates can appear who are referred by some employee of the company. One more thing I heard is that reference is a guarantee given by the employee of the candidate to the company as he has worked with the candidate and knows his/her qualities. Please clear my doubt? Is there any certificate required if we mention any reference in an interview? I am quite confused regarding this 😕

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Reference is not a back-door process. Referral is basically existing employees 'referring' their existing contacts to the job positions available with the company they are working for. Reference does not act as a guarantee given by the employee. It's just a reference that makes it easier for the HR candidates to find short-cut in the recruitment process.

Unless the person referring you is well known or fairly senior in the company, the references do not influence the interviews. In most of the cases, it's just a way to know potential candidates.

Not sure which certificate you're talking about. But references are totally optional.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Some companies use references to track the employees past records. I have some friends in IT companies who told me that before assigning them to the projects, calls were dialed to the names mentioned in there reference list to check about the employee's academic performance and other background.
    I think the use of 'reference' may differ from company to company.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    One interviewer told me to show a character certificate if I have a reference signed by the employee. Do references work in cross companies too? For example, can a person working in ABC company refer a candidate for a position in XYZ company?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Nick_Sharma
    One interviewer told me to show a character certificate if I have a reference signed by the employee. Do references work in cross companies too? For example, can a person working in ABC company refer a candidate for a position in XYZ company?
    I don't think cross referrals would work. But if you are working in ABC company and are looking for a job in XYZ company (job-hopping), a current employee of the XYZ company can refer you to the HR department. In this case, if the person from ABC company gets selected in XYZ, the employee who referred him/her gets a referral bonus. 👍
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    What is your take in a condition when a fresher is referred in a company by his brother sister or any relative. Does that give him/her an edge over others? Won't they see whether he fits in the eligibility criteria or not?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Nick_Sharma
    What is your take in a condition when a fresher is referred in a company by his brother sister or any relative. Does that give him/her an edge over others? Won't they see whether he fits in the eligibility criteria or not?
    In some companies, yes. They do give preference to freshers who have referrals from the company's existing employees. (not in campus placements though.)

They will usually just put his/her resume on top of other candidates, but ultimately it is your knowledge and prowess that will fetch you a job.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Ahh thanks 😀 That's why I love CE
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Nick_Sharma
    Using this way your next employer can know what your current/past employer have a view on you.
    In present senario, companies like to hire a candidate with a clean background (in career/education/personal) which may not be judged in 3-4 hours of interview. So companies prefer a reference from thier own employeed because if a employee is refering someone then surely, the candidate have a good background and if there is some fault will found, it will reflect to that employee too.
    So in general a employee give the reference of candidate who has better backgound and good change of getting selected.On which they will get reference bonus.😀
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    But is it necessary to have a certificate like that or its just that the interviewer was testing on my patience? Because that really was a stress interview of around 60 minutes
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't think it is neccessary...May he is testing that you can get some good reviews from your past employer

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let us cover the basics of electrical circuits, electronic circuits and discuss similarities and differences between them. We will start from the basics and cover advance topics.
An online market where the currency was favors. Such as if you needed a piece of information, and you couldn't (didn't want to) look it up, you post it and...
respected how how i can get help from your forum?like c problems,projects and general questions answers....
Hello Engineers, With our new re-design of the CE-Home Page, a few interesting additions are made. One of them is our all-new 'Popular Tech Videos' section in the right-sidebar. Check...
Those in the software industry can relate to the fact that *in most cases* designers and front-end developers get all the credit. They’re the ones who will repeatedly feature in...