What exactly does paging in o.s reffer to?

paging is different from segmentation so what is the main difference between them

Replies

• dipen30
    dipen30
    Re: what exactly is paging in o.s reffer to

A page is "physical unit" invisible to user's program and is of fixed size.

A segmentation is "logical unit" visible to user's program and is of variable size.

this is simple difference between paging and segmentation.

I hope I am write...Give correct info if I am wrong..
  • faizaan
    faizaan
    Pagging & segmentation are two concepts which look much similar ,but both were invented for diffrent reasons & so as dipen told first diffrence is that in pagging page is of fixed size & in segmentation segment is of variable size (though they are made up of fixed size pages but no of pages are diffrent in each segment)

As far as i know Pagging was invented to implement the cocept of virtual memory & that gave programmer his own address space in which he can write his program.But there is one problem in pagging ,as pages are of fixed size & programs always have stack which may grow or shrink as time progresses & program executes than fixed size pages cannot work (as other parts of program may be there in pages above or below where stack part is allocated).

So here comes segmentation into picture & it solves above problem .It was invented to seprate parts of program in logical units each independent other.So programs data & stack are in diffrent segments ,stack can grow or shrink in size without disturbing other parts of program.

pls orrect me if i am wrong.
  • dipen30
    dipen30
    thanx for this info faizaan.
  • aban14
    aban14
    this link may b helpful

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm a new CEan and I'm having problems introducing myself. Could somebody direct me or give me a link to some solution to this problem.I'm expecting some kind of form...
I'm new with parrallel port programming and I would like to obtain Simple introductory lecture material for this course.Could any one of you be having any links to such material...
Hello Friends! 1) I can prepare DOS bootable and Windows 98 bootable cds but i am not able to prepare windows xp cd. I tried two to three times but...
Recently I have started loving writing movie reviews. You may say thats because of my inherent quality(?) of analysing things, or people to the hilt. So here comes the second...
well one of my fenz was trying for iit and un-fortunately faild to make the cut now he is waiting for the cet results he wants to pursue computer science...