What Engineering Discipline reguarly uses Numerical Linear Algebra, Numerical Analysis, Numerical Optimization, Partial Differential Equations and Information Theory?

Hello, I have a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics (3.73 GPA) and want to pursue graduate school in engineering. I have never taken a single engineering course before.

What engineering discipline has an education in graduate school heavily tied to Numerical Linear Algebra, Numerical Analysis, Numerical Optimization, Partial Differential Equations and Information Theory?

I want a Research Thesis Engineering Master's Degree with a strong focus on using the mathematical concepts in my question title to solve problems. I do not want a heavily proof based education as I can study that on my own. I plan to get about three years industry experience as an Associate Data Scientist before starting this Master's degree. I want to become a Data Scientist or do similar work in Engineering.

That said, would an Engineering Master's program allow me to take 6 non-engineering electives to satisfy my degree? Specifically, I want to take:

6 Engineering Classes, 2 Research Classes, Data Mining, Machine Learning Theory, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Bayesian Statistics, and High Dimensional Statistics. I would audit Statistical Inference, and I would audit Generalized Linear Models.

Does an Engineering Master's Degree sound like a good fit for me? If so, which sub-field?

Replies

• Joseph Duwensee
    Joseph Duwensee

Because I cannot find an edit button: Instead of Data Mining, I might take a course on optimizing and scaling algorithms for production and parallel computing.

• Joseph Duwensee
    Joseph Duwensee

I have heard that any sort of simulation in Aerospace Engineering will especially be up my alley, and I'll try to add stochastic processes to that work. I'll need to get in contact with staff/faculty to discuss my lack of prerequisites.

• DM update
    DM update

according to me Aerospace engineering has everything you have mentioned. And some part is also including in CSE Engineering as my friend is doing CSE from Chandigarh Group of Colleges Landran, she sometime mentioned these terms. But i am not fully sure , i may be wrong.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Most engineers manage to get by with school arithmetic. 

Having said that, almost all branches of engineering (except metallurgy perhaps) use advanced mathematics for serious work.

Why engineering, even medicine is getting into various data mining, large data analysis, trend analysis, algorithms and more in diagnosis and treatment.

The choice is wide.

Google Scholar

Google Scholar

Google Scholar

• Joseph Duwensee
    Joseph Duwensee

Thank you. I do have one more question: how common are in-depth engineering programs like Stanford's Post-Masters Aeronautics and Astronautics Engineer Degree?

I don't know if it's possible for me to get into or reasonably afford a top university like Stanford, but the program linked below requires a 1 to 2 year Engineer Degree after completing the 2 to 3 year Master's Degree. The 3 to 5 cumulative years degree evaluates your research potential and requires finding a faculty to supervise your mandatory research thesis before admission. Doing a research thesis interests me greatly.

#-Link-Snipped-#

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-# , if you are posing your question to me, I need a while to reply. If  Any other member has any opinion, I am sure it will get posted here in the meanwhile.

• Joseph Duwensee
    Joseph Duwensee

#-Link-Snipped-#, I would definitely appreciate an answer from you. However, please take your time.

Anyone else that feels qualified to answer is also encouraged by me to respond. I'll look at programs as well.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Can you look at another option. Many US universities offer combined masters and PhD programs. Maybe a masters in maths and a Phd in mathematics applied to some specific area like Aerospace, Biomathematics or some such can be considered.

I am sure that various National labs like JPL  Las Alamos National Laboratories have mathematics oriented scientific/engineering programmes.

• Joseph Duwensee
    Joseph Duwensee

#-Link-Snipped-# May I ask why the emphasis on going into a Mathematics Graduate Program? Focusing on applying it to engineering would definitely help me get a job, but I was hoping to avoid having 80% of my time spent on theoretical math (during the Master's Degree).

I have done more research and come to the conclusion that, if I can get into Aerospace Engineering, I would like to learn AI controls for autonomously flying unmanned aircraft. That may require a PhD.

I would apply for top 1 - 40 ranked universities with a strong research in Controls with focus on Machine Learning. I'll carefully research faculty and reach out to them and their departments before applying.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I too wanted to tell you about AI for all autonomous vehicles. Please check out some of the posts in the robotics group here on CE. Quite a bit of data analysis and predictive statistical methods are involved in the autonomous road vehicle development, which is burgeoning now. The career opportunities are large here.

Please go ahead with your plan. I shall update incase something else strikes me.

More power to your elbow!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

By a suitable example .... examination point of view...
I want the idea of making a combine harvester .which can be Ox drawn  and can be used to harvest crops such as maize .wheat, soya beans and other  and...
I'm a Nit hamirpur cse 1st yr student and it has taken me 2 semesters to realize how restricted mindset we start adapting to , due to syallbus and attendance...
Ok so I am writing an article about injection molding and I want to get it right.To my knowledge, there are mainly seven types of fillers used in the injection...
Can anyone tell the reasons of thermal battery not reaching its operating time.