What does Scandisk do?

This post is inspired by Neha's thread about Disk Defragmentator
#-Link-Snipped-#

I remember the old Windows 98 days when improper shutdown would result in the 'Scandisk' program run at next boot. I wonder what the scandisk actually did?

If it was useful, why was it discontinued in Windows XP? Can anyone explain this?

Replies

• desijays
    desijays
    scan disk is an error checking program that helps to determine if a hard disk has any errors. In a normal run, scan disk checks the entire capacity of the hard disk and then digitally marks those sectors and clusters that are not usable by the OS or any other program. In essence scandisk marks that part of the hard disk unusable.

Scan disk, i presume is also capable of predicting if the hard disk is in any danger of imminent failure.

And by the way, scan disk hasn't been discontinued. It still exists in XP. Right click any one of your hard disks. Then click on properties. Now click on the 2nd tab called tools. What you get after you click "Check Now" in that tab is an advanced version of scandisk.

the initial version of NT was the only OS that didn't have scan disk included.
  • Neha
    Neha
    crook
    If it was useful, why was it discontinued in Windows XP? Can anyone explain this?
    And if you turn off your computer(with Windows Xp) without shutting it down, it will ask whether you want to scan your disk or not..it hasn't been discontinued.
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    desijays
    scan disk is an error checking program that helps to determine if a hard disk has any errors. In a normal run, scan disk checks the entire capacity of the hard disk and then digitally marks those sectors and clusters that are not usable by the OS or any other program. In essence scandisk marks that part of the hard disk unusable.

Scan disk, i presume is also capable of predicting if the hard disk is in any danger of imminent failure.

And by the way, scan disk hasn't been discontinued. It still exists in XP. Right click any one of your hard disks. Then click on properties. Now click on the 2nd tab called tools. What you get after you click "Check Now" in that tab is an advanced version of scandisk.

the initial version of NT was the only OS that didn't have scan disk included.
    Neha
    And if you turn off your computer(with Windows Xp) without shutting it down, it will ask whether you want to scan your disk or not..it hasn't been discontinued.
    Thanks for the information desijays and neha. I want to know about scandisk alternative in Vista. Any idea about it?

Jerry
  • Neha
    Neha
    well I haven't used Vista yet..so don't have any idea regarding that.
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    While during shut down,

The system show that scaning you disk,

bcoz, it will update the changes made to the disk during the current windows session.

In olden day on windows 3 serious,

The scan disk is the important , which shows all errors like disk error, writing space error and even bad clusters.

Regards,
    A.SK...
  • vinci
    vinci
    thanks for nice information .as i used to shut down pc improperly .I have understood scan disc now
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    it checks for errors and fixes the file system errorrs
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    scandisk is available in all windows OSes
  • vinci
    vinci
    its successor is chkdsk .works before starting windows to check errors in system/kernel
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Well, in Windows XP, the ScanDisk is replaced by CheckDisk... 😀 Haven't you seen this???
    [​IMG]
  • vinci
    vinci
    yeah !!! I have seen it checks drives for any errors.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    when XP finds any possible error while reading disk it invokes Chkdisk on next start.
    Most possible situations are:
    shutting down computer while copying data/downloadin
    forcing application when it try to write data.
    ----
    in CHKDisk it just dump/fix that memory adress which might cause bad sector.
    Never seen on Windows 7, quite possible they made it background process. and only a only popup shows "Windows has just recovered from serious error"

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Which one is your favorite operating system and any special reason of being favorite? Mine is Windows maybe coz I never used any other.😉
Microsoft introduced portable digital media players i.e. MICROSOFT ZUNES to compete with Apple's I-Pods. Did anyone give a try to Microsoft's product? HOwz it? You can have a look at...
Whenever i come to the crazy engineers web page, why does it make a connection to tw-in-f147.google.com & p6w6.geo.re2.yahoo.com whenever i stay on its main page, it tries establishing connections...
Re: CE - Project Related Ideas & Discussions NehaCan you explain what is VPN functionality? And why should it not be used?Neha, let us have a new thread for discussion...
Considering on the wonderful software that Maihuna mentioned in the thread https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448 that helps you import songs from your I-Pod to PC, I thought of introducing a new thread on...