Main components in a computer system
Hardware
Software
Firmware
what does firmware mean

Replies

• Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    You can say firmware as an Operating System..
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Nick_Sharma
    You can say firmware as an Operating System..
    can you say me in detail.

P.S. just now started to concentrate in gaining knowledge in computer science , so please explain in simple terms.😀
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Firmware integrates the functionalities of a machine by integrating the software and hardware. Operating System is something that does the same. Take an example of our PC. Windows, Linux, Mac etc can be called as firmwares that actually provide interaction between the hardware and software installed in the PC. Several other jobs like resource allocation to programs is done by OS (firmware).
    Resource allocation: You might have noticed something that whenever you open any program in your PC, an instance of it is created and main memory (RAM) is allotted to the program for its execution. You can check it by going to the 'Process' tab in the task manager. A list of programs there shows the allocation of memory and the running programs. All this is handled by the OS.

Consider it in the context of a handset. Nokia uses Symbian OS i.e. a firmware. Samsung STAR uses proprietary firmware like MMGJK2, MXEKD1 etc. So, a firmware is basically an OS for integrating the functionalities of a machine or device or gadget by making use of the hardware and software.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    got it. thanks @#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Just for the sake of clarity of the concept; firmware is usually the software embedded chips or ROMs. They're usually smaller in size (few KBs to MBs) and usually deal with direct functioning of the hardware.

As Nick mentioned; a firmware is an operating system; but usually operates on lower levels of electronics. Android or iOS is mobile firmware; for example 😀 .
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    when I was searching about it, I came across a common phrase " Firmware is a combination of software and #-Link-Snipped-#".

The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Just for the sake of clarity of the concept; firmware is usually the software embedded chips or ROMs. They're usually smaller in size (few KBs to MBs) and usually deal with direct functioning of the hardware.
    What does those phrase signifies?

Source:#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Firmware typically can be thought of as a sub-set of software. However, the term is used loosely as a combination of the ROM/EPROM + The code (instructions) that controls it. Typically a combination of software+hardware would be referred as 'Platform'.

That is the reason, most of the manufacturers release firmware updates as 'software update'. That is, you can update the firmware on the same hardware. Ex. Android.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    Firmware typically can be thought of as a sub-set of software. However, the term is used loosely as a combination of the ROM/EPROM + The code (instructions) that controls it. Typically a combination of software+hardware would be referred as 'Platform'.

That is the reason, most of the manufacturers release firmware updates as 'software update'. That is, you can update the firmware on the same hardware. Ex. Android.
    Got it.@The_Big_K thank you😀
  • AllenJones
    AllenJones
    Firmware is a software program or set of instructions programmed on a hardware device. It provides the necessary instructions for how the device communicates with the other computer hardware. But how can software be programmed onto hardware? Good question. Firmware is typically stored in the flash ROM of a hardware device. While ROM is "read-only memory," flash ROM can be erased and rewritten because it is actually a type of flash memory.

Thanks in advance.
    Allen
  • er_Vivek
    er_Vivek
    hi buddy ! A firmware is micro instruction set which make an interaction b/w software and hardware.lets take example:If you are smart phone and you heard about that "update your firmware" mean company provide strong and efficient micro-instruction set which is better than there old version. so that your device work fine and smoothly After updating your previous version.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Special Purpose Registers​–The special purpose registers are used by the CPU for temporary storage of data for calculations and other purposes.​–Ex.:​•MAR​•MBR​•IR​•PC​Here, I just want to know about​MAR,MBR,IR,PC in detail​ ​
Can any one tell what method ( other than Nitrogen freezing ) can be used to detect oil leakages in underground oil filled transmission lines of 132 KV?​
This is new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport which had been launched on 12th March and was priced Rs 23.53 lakh. The new pajero is ultimate sporty SUV which seems to be...
Hi guys and gals. I wanted to draw your attention to a crowd funding project which has been started by engineers for engineers. We have come up with an idea...
I'm using Google Chrome, when i open it this notification arises, ​after clicking more than 10 to 12 clicks it closes, is there any solution for this issue,​any one came...