What do you think you should have known about your career at the start of it?

We've a lot of working professionals on CrazyEngineers. No matter how many years/months you've completed as a professional engineer in any domain (not necessarily engineering); I'm sure you'll have said "I should have known that about my career at the start of it".

Share that thing with us.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'll tag #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# . Looking forward to your responses.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I should have known about engineering before I started it. Job wise it was fine - luckily!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Mathew
    I should have known about engineering before I started it. Job wise it was fine - luckily!
    What exactly about engineering? Would love some clarification 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    1. Getting a degree from a great college is more important than getting a degree.

Doing a B.Tech or B.E. just for the sake of it and thinking that you are well off on your own by "self-study" might not always be true. There are people out there who toiled day and night in their 10+2 to get into the topmost college in their country and now they don't have to worry about "packages" like their 'private college' peers.

2. A degree in computer science != a high-paying job.

A lot of my friends thought very early in their careers that you should take computer science or IT as their choice of engineering branch, if all you want is a good job. It is just not true. I have a number of friends who are unemployed even after two years of completing graduation. Sending a resume to 200 companies just does not work. They are now opting for Post Grad just for the sake of it.

3. Never listen to an IT professional's advice before actually being a part of an IT Company.

...Unless of course they are your well-wishers. Because this community tends to bluff a lot. Mostly to appear cool or to show off that their career is satisfying and/or fruitful. They will tell you all sorts of things about choosing the technology, warming bench, development/testing/support roles, HR, salaries and appraisals. Most of these words are based on rumors or make-believe scenarios. You have to be inside and experience it all for yourself to understand if you really do fit there.

4. Your dream job does not exist. You must create it.

^ It's self explanatory.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What exactly about engineering? Would love some clarification 😀
    Refer to Ankita's 1st quote - totally applicable as it was 90% of the issue that I was unaware of prior to joining engineering.!

The next is the fact that I was better off with just Computer Science which was my first preference to which my physics sir and mentor objected and convinced me and my dad that Electronics and Communication was a better option due to the fact that I could jump to any field I chose - true that, yet I would have enjoyed learning computer science better. I was good with C and C++ at school level and first year college level. But somehow I felt like I learned a lot of unwanted subjects which I didn't ultimately like in ECE. I could have performed better with computer science. Now I work with networking which is good for me so ultimately everything fell in place so far.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Waiting for more responses. #-Link-Snipped-# ; I can't wait to have your answer. 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Waiting for more responses. #-Link-Snipped-# ; I can't wait to have your answer. 😀
    I must apologize. There is little to tell. Not at all inspiring today's aspiring generation. It is a story of half a century of selfishness.

Quote:
    We've a lot of working professionals on Crazy Engineers. No matter how many years/months you've completed as a professional engineer in any domain (not necessarily engineering); I'm sure you'll have said "I should have known that about my career at the start of it".
    Endquote

That is the crux of it. There was nothing to know because there was no career to talk about or work towards.

I must confess that mine was an atypical life. My parents never interfered in my doings even as a child and later at school. Family members from both sides of the family were academically oriented for many generations. Nobody had any career as such. Very sedate life. No one told me to do anything specific with my life.

Another factor was that I was a loner. Very few boys of my age in my neighbourhood. House full of gaggles of maternal and paternal aunts and a slew of sisters and girl cousins waiting to shoo me off. Spent much of my time reading. Quite a bit of philosophical books as well.

By the time high school leaving time came I had decided that I do not want any career. All I wanted was to study physics and work with Sir C.V.Raman. If not I wanted to be an engineer. Edison and Faraday were examples of hands on people, who seemed to have enjoyed what they did. That was all my ambition. To do what I enjoyed. Period. No laid out career with the accepted criterion of ‘success’.

Physics was not to be though later I spent forty years with Raman’s student. My second choice was engineering. The then Madras state was just becoming anti Brahmin and did not select me. Andhra ‘Varsity did without an interview.

My motivation?

Pure selfishness. Just wanted to have fun. Still having after fifty five years.

I am eternally grateful to my understanding parents that let me be. As we did with our children. Just let them be.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    No laid out career with the accepted criterion of ‘success’.
    That is the dream for so many good minds today. 😀

I am eternally grateful to my understanding parents that let me be. As we did with our children. Just let them be.
    Today's parents need to read this. The rat race has to stop.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    A.V.Ramani
    I must apologize. There is little to tell. Not at all inspiring today's aspiring generation. It is a story of half a century of selfishness.

Quote:
    We've a lot of working professionals on Crazy Engineers. No matter how many years/months you've completed as a professional engineer in any domain (not necessarily engineering); I'm sure you'll have said "I should have known that about my career at the start of it".
    Endquote

That is the crux of it. There was nothing to know because there was no career to talk about or work towards.

I must confess that mine was an atypical life. My parents never interfered in my doings even as a child and later at school. Family members from both sides of the family were academically oriented for many generations. Nobody had any career as such. Very sedate life. No one told me to do anything specific with my life.

Another factor was that I was a loner. Very few boys of my age in my neighbourhood. House full of gaggles of maternal and paternal aunts and a slew of sisters and girl cousins waiting to shoo me off. Spent much of my time reading. Quite a bit of philosophical books as well.

By the time high school leaving time came I had decided that I do not want any career. All I wanted was to study physics and work with Sir C.V.Raman. If not I wanted to be an engineer. Edison and Faraday were examples of hands on people, who seemed to have enjoyed what they did. That was all my ambition. To do what I enjoyed. Period. No laid out career with the accepted criterion of ‘success’.

Physics was not to be though later I spent forty years with Raman’s student. My second choice was engineering. The then Madras state was just becoming anti Brahmin and did not select me. Andhra ‘Varsity did without an interview.

My motivation?

Pure selfishness. Just wanted to have fun. Still having after fifty five years.

Cut the pleasure of selfishness, and write about it. When do we get to read your book sir?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ZTE corporation has launched a new smartphone in China called the ZTE Star 1. Although there's no official word from ZTE about the smartphone's global launch, we now have the...
This is dedicated thread for Ubuntu 14.10 (codename not selected at this moment). I will try to keep ya'll updated to the upcoming features/changes/proposed-changes of 14.10. Like me, if you...
We know that ABS- Anti lock braking system has been a good safety system which helps to stop the locking of wheel during braking which predominantly takes place in cold...
Uploaded by Michał Sadowski - Entrepreneur, Public Speaker and Social Media Enthusiast, this video takes you on a journey highlighting the happy moments in a life of an entrepreneur. The...
Anybody use "OMNeT++" Network Simulator??