What do you remember from the old days?

I know the typical memories that a person in the USA may have of "the old days". I am curious what people in other countries remember when they think of them.

Some of my memories:

Programming a computer using punch cards. (This is a typical boast of older programmers in the USA).

I remember my mother canning vegetables. She told me when she was a girl that her family once made their own soap.

Beer cans made of steel. You could not crush them so easily. If you could crush one with one hand, it was proof that you had a strong grip.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    wow! you belong to punch cards era . My colegue is also from same era and he loves talking about those days πŸ˜€

As of me, watching stars .. I call them good old days as I used to do it every night for many years and not any more πŸ˜”

and then, comparing report cards with class people πŸ˜› .

one more, adjusting TV antenna 😁 and asking someone from downstairs to check the signal , with advent of cable television and set top boxes nah!.. this ones old.LOL I loved it
  • gohm
    gohm
    I remember thos tashirosgt, although I was young with the punch cards, otherwise it was "o" & "1" on apple 2c's or commodore 64's.

Walking to the TV to change the channel with a selection of 4 stations. Using pliers when the knob fell off.

Playing outside with friends-nowdays kids spend all their time in a room on PCs or game consoles & interact virtually.

Drive in movie theaters

home made soda, clothes

8 track players

ring pull cans

Thinking that firemen, truckers & sailors were the most amazing high level jobs someone could be and "idolizing" them over something silly/boring like a President. =)

Riding in the bed of a station wagon on family trips with a book or the new hot item, a cassette Walkman
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    yes.. walkman. no wonder cd players placed them and then IPODs . Frankly not a great fan of IPOD (bought one out of fancy and sold it away to a friend after few weeks ), I loved my wlakman though πŸ˜€.

Vedio games??
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    gohm
    a cassette Walkman
    Dude, I used to have one! Complete with a recording feature.. awesome stuff. Now I've got a Sony MP4 player πŸ˜€

Though admittedly my old days are not as old compared to others here (*grin*), some things I've missed as a kid:
    - VCR players: Thinking that relabelling a video cassette actually changes the movie.
    - Dial up tones of the 56k modem: having to stop internet surfing so mom can talk on the phone (for extended lengths of time).
    - DOS games (Dig Dug and Kong) and 5[sup]1[/sup]/[sub]4[/sub]" floppy disk.
    - WordPerfect: Typing white text over blue background.
    - Frequency scanning on the TV

Technologies do change quick eh. But I guess I'd have to wait another decade or so to feel the difference in lifestyle.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    gohm
    Walking to the TV to change the channel with a selection of 4 stations. Using pliers when the knob fell off.
    hehe I did that a lot too when I was a kid and had Salora b/w tv at home.

I also remember those days(around 1998/1999) when I had to use VSNL dialup internet and downloading 1mb data would take around 30-45 minsπŸ˜”

Also I was a regular visitor of hotgames(now defunct I think) and megagames(dot) com and looked for small game demos to download. Would look for smallest of them(typically 2-4 mbs) so that it would download in a couple of hours.

Also I love those days when I was addicted to Ragnarok MMORPG. Later when I joined college , I did not have internet connection and had to quit the game forcefully. I still love its memories.

I loved the initial days of p2p too, that of Kazaa and Bearshare. Now bittorrent has become boring.

Bonzi buddy anyone😁
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    gohm
    hehe I did that a lot too when I was a kid and had Salora b/w tv at home.

I also remember those days(around 1998/1999) when I had to use VSNL dialup internet and downloading 1mb data would take around 30-45 minsπŸ˜”

Also I was a regular visitor of hotgames(now defunct I think) and megagames(dot) com and looked for small game demos to download. Would look for smallest of them(typically 2-4 mbs) so that it would download in a couple of hours.

Also I love those days when I was addicted to Ragnarok MMORPG. Later when I joined college , I did not have internet connection and had to quit the game forcefully. I still love its memories.

I loved the initial days of p2p too, that of Kazaa and Bearshare. Now bittorrent has become boring.

Bonzi buddy anyone?😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I used to have a casttee walkman!

I used to play Video game Duck Hunt! and mario series is another game I used to play in my childhood.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    from my old days i remembered ..b/w Tv when had to change channel manually setting frequency.playing video games likes contra,mario .and games like eye spice and lot more πŸ˜€.learn to ride bicycle by getting on rent per hour according to our size..
    really its a flash back review πŸ˜€
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    English-Scared
    I used to play Video game Duck Hunt! and mario series is another game I used to play in my childhood.
    I also loved playing duck hunt, contra and Mario in my childhood.
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    When I was kid .......
    I enjoyed playing Basket Ball... bunked school & always on ground to play.

our team used to win every year; that was glorious days. We were star players of school. hmmm missing those days.... 😭
  • sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    tashirosgt
    I know the typical memories that a person in the USA may have of "the old days". I am curious what people in other countries remember when they think of them.

Some of my memories:

Programming a computer using punch cards. (This is a typical boast of older programmers in the USA).

I remember my mother canning vegetables. She told me when she was a girl that her family once made their own soap.

Beer cans made of steel. You could not crush them so easily. If you could crush one with one hand, it was proof that you had a strong grip.
    from my old days I remebered those days when there was only two or three balck and white t.v. in a whole village and people used to go there to watch the famous serial like chandrakanta,chitrahar broadcasting by doordarshan and also those days when postman used to come with the letters and all the villagers would wait for this person in the evening for the news about there relatives
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Well, I remember in 1989 I wrote my first C++ code on my Linux machine.

Old is gold!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am vineeth.I have qualified gate 2010 with gate score 543 in electronics and communication and my percentile is 97.25. Is there any possibility for me to get admission in...
its a open suggestion field to all of u.i m a 3rd yr student opf mallabhum inst of tech.we r going to organise a tech fest.so,we need suggestion regarding sponsorships.
hi..admin..do you have any idea about data warehousing? is any organisation in north india which offer 30 days industrial trainng?
Hye this is Faysal. I am in my last semester. I need sum help for my Final Year Project.
Hi guys, These are the emails received by my dad. Yahoo/Msn Lottery Incoperation Baley House, Har Road Sutton, Greater London SM1 4te United Kingdom. Dear Winner, This is to inform...