CrazyEngineers V4: Early Access

We are developing the next version of CrazyEngineers. If you wish to receive latest updates and early access, click the link below.

1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

what do i do if i chose for civil engineering but not interested

Question asked by your friend in #Civil & Structural #Career Help #Campus Placements on Mar 26, 2021
your friend
your friend · Mar 26, 2021
Rank E2 - BEGINNER

I have opted for civil engineering from IIT this year, I am in 1st year 

but now i feel that I have chosen wrong career 

what should i do ?

should i drop college ?

Posted in: #Civil & Structural #Career Help #Campus Placements
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Mar 26, 2021
Rank A1 - PRO

Give us some more information. What made you pick civil engineering? Was it your own decision? Did you score allow you to pick other branch? Do IITs allow change of branch in second year? 

your friend
your friend · Mar 26, 2021
Rank E2 - BEGINNER

I picked engineering because many of  my friends did and there are also some engineers in my family earning enough.

so it was neither my decision completely nor my family's. But at that time I chose because I was getting a seat in IIT .

there is branch change option available in IITs and I can change my branch too as my score in 1st semester was good enough (which is the only thing I need to change my branch) .

What should I do 

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Mar 27, 2021
Rank A1 - PRO

You didn't tell us the full story. If not engineering, have you thought of any other career? What are your prime concerns about choosing your career? Are you worried about job opportunities that you may get in future? 

In general, engineering won't hurt anything that you do in future. In fact, engineering degree from IIT would be a "HUGE PLUS". 

My suggestion, based on the information available, is that you should look at picking up the engineering branch of your choice. Spend your 4 years at IIT well. Keep your grades above the threshold for placements; and you're all set. There's absolutely no need to worry. But do pick the engineering branch that you'll enjoy the most. You'll never regret this. 

There's always time to do that you 'want' to do. Do it part-time; until you find something concrete that tells you to pursue it as a career. However, do not give up IIT just because you don't like Civil Engineering. Keep in mind that there was someone who really, really, really wanted to get that seat; but could not. Don't do injustice to them. 

Be active around, we've a friendly bunch of engineers from around the world here. You're in a good company. We're here to help at every step. All the best!

Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Mar 27, 2021
Rank A1 - PRO

I agree with Kaustubh.

It maybe worthwhile to choose a multidisciplinary engineering branch like mechanical or chemical. Both are useful in many industries.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up