What do diehard Firefox (Mozilla) users think about having Yahoo as default search engine?

Mozilla's recently announced that the stable builds of Firefox, starting sometime in Q1 of 2015 will have Yahoo (powered by Bing) search engine as the default one instead of Google. This is certainly a big decision for the company like Mozilla, because it relied on Google for its revenues for almost a decade.

In case you don't know - the default search engine is kind of 'the thing' for Mozilla to stay afloat. Whenever the users perform search through the inbuilt search box in Firefox, Google makes money through ads displayed on search results and a part of it is passed on to Mozilla. It turns out to be several million dollars for Mozilla; but Google may not be willing to do this for a long time in future [Hey, they've got to ensure Chrome's Dominance in the market].

So, changing your default search engine may not be a big thing for you; but for average user - it is! Curious to know what do die-hard FF users think about Mozilla turning to Yahoo to provide the default search engine?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Definitely a big step for ff. I love yahoo for its unique interface but google attracted me with its simple design. Apart from it, Search results were more accurate in google rather than yahoo. its my exp. whats yours?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Preferences -> General. Set homepage of your favourite search engine (Mine is duckduckgo). How tough is that ?

Plus I have Shell extension which lets me search right from desktop. Screw browser inbuilt search engines 😁
    Screenshot from 2014-11-21 10:53:16

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The chemical engineering department at the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT-B) has achieved a breakthrough that promises to bring the cost and time involved in dialysis procedures down by...
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. It is an honor to meet all of you. Currently i am working on a communication...
If you haven't really been able to catch up to the frenzy of companies launching smartphones with USP as the selfie camera, here's a latest smartphone from Alcatel Mobiles to...
ICICI Bank will be the first bank in India to launch the NFC (Near Field Communication) based credit and debit cards in Indian markets. The NFC technology will make it...
Google survives on online advertisements and so do a number of publishers who rely on Google's Adsense program for revenues. However, not everyone likes advertisements and there seems to be...