1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What are the top challenges while switching your job or career?

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #Career Help on Dec 5, 2019
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 5, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

I wish to know what are the main challenges you've faced when switching your career. Essentially, I'm trying to find out how can CrazyEngineers be of help to fellow engineers when they are looking for a new job OR planning a career move.

A good number of engineers I spoke with informed that finding the right jobs is a challenge. Many times, the new job requires a skill or knowledge of a tool that they have no experience with; and that makes the career switch difficult.

Please share the challenges you or your colleagues have faced. I look forward to your responses.

Posted in: #Career Help
SYED ABDUL REHMAN TAHIR
Rank E1 - BEGINNER

suppose a person have best knowledge and he can explain every thing about his field but still he can not hired then who is responsible.

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Dec 5, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Here, I can talk about my experience.  I got trained on Data Science and Big Data in a well reputed institute. I learnt it very well and switched to role in same company.

Now , once switching is a big deal, but for me it was a bit easier as i moved in same company, though I had to face interview and stuff, the discussions about my previous experience etc.. doesnt really mattered.

Now, on job - the one that we learn on institutes vs whats in real time has a big difference , and with good number of years of experience behind me I had to go into a kind of senior role and work there.

Here comes the challenge, the tools and technologies at a corporate level we would never really know how difficult it would be unless we really experience it.

For a fresher or person with less experience , he has the advantage of taking time for learning the tools and getting familiarised with whats happening. 

But for seniors it will be very difficult.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 8, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Interesting response, Saandeep. I believe for experienced engineers adopting to new tools and technologies is easier if they've prior experience in the domain. I agree that switching to entirely new domain could be challenging. 

I'm curious to know about job discovery. Is that a challenge or is it really easy these days to hunt for new job opportunities?

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Dec 11, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Experienced Engineers: By definition people who have prior experience in the field can be called experienced. But what lacks is the complexity required for a specific job. Lets say I was a java developer who designed enterprise level application, have my hands - on on coding , testing, bug fixing and deployment and also backend knowledge (A Full stack developer) then the problem for switching into new technologies or tools would not be very difficult. Since its like "another programming language".

But if this is not the case, my case I was a QA Engineer, but luckily for me since i worked for good number of years on the same product I got hands on onto database, json and deployment but to a very basic level. Now once I moved to new role I have to do everything on my own , this makes it little difficult.

Another example, I recently met a friend who has over 10 years of experience in SAP ,and that guy never did source control (git) hence he struggled initially to understand what that is. And now if you say I have been working for 10 years and I dont know version control ,what is your take on it? 

Next question is job discovery,  here the challenge comes with the over-all experience and the package that we currently have, and the roles that we need to apply.

Lets say a 10 years experienced developer is earning at 15 LPA, and did some data science certification or some other technology certification and worked for a year and trying to apply for a job, the new company should pay him more than what he is earning but this will not be the case always since it will be out of budget for the organization.

Lets say , if someone applies for an experienced role the ask is huge. So if we are ready for a paycut job opportunities are there. (Need to take care of EMI's)

I also see there are so many opportunities I see online, but my pool of friends a good number of them are not getting any interview opportunities , may be market is facing a slump..

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 14, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Thank you for the response, Saandeep. I've heard from several working professionals that getting an interview response is a problem. I however have not found out the root cause of the problem. Is it that the companies receive applications and simply refuse to inform the applicants about their acceptance status or is there anything else? 

Perhaps, even the experienced professionals need upskilling? I see lot of big companies hiring engineers in bulk. Can't say it's a market slump.

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Dec 14, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Hiring is happening , its the freshers requirement most of the time, or people with experience 1-4 levels.

Hiring seniors is not happening that well, but as you mentioned the hiring channel has changed now except the Big MNC's. People are looking for our online presence like stackoverflow, github and online forums or online presence and looking at the how the candidate is.

WIth respect to interview response, whats happening is - companies are taking feedback from people who are attending the interview, and if we give a feedback which is not aligned with their sentiments they are responding in a different way.

And for resume's , really there is no response back if the resume is not shortlisted. 

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up