1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What are the few steps to be undertaken to become a good programmer?

Question asked by Akhila Janapati in #Programming on Dec 20, 2019
Akhila Janapati
Akhila Janapati · Dec 20, 2019
Rank D3 - MASTER

As im in 4th year ,though i know all the theory about the programming languages i'm not that much good in programming.Though i practice to learn how to code and how to write a logic, but im not able to do in coding exams because of which im loosing many job oppurtunities. 

can anybody suggest the neccesary steps to be taken to be a good coder and to write a code for the  problem statements asked in exams.

Posted in: #Programming
Kavya Burramolla
Kavya Burramolla · Dec 20, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Hi Akhila, I understand, two years back I was also in the same situation. I completely agree with your point having theoretical knowledge and writing logic alone will not serve the purpose to crack the exam.

Sometimes we write the logic correct but there are chances we may end up with no or wrong outputs.  

Try to practice more and more programs and start with small projects available online where you will experience with bugs or errors. Once you start exploring over these bugs you will find other different methods to try for and learn from your mistakes. 

I suggest you to practice problems on some of the online sources like code chef, geeks for geeks. 

Karshil Sheth
Karshil Sheth · Dec 20, 2019
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Hey, first of all don't be scared or afraid or don't get rid of programming. At first it will feel to leave it or just pack it up. Don't do that instead try solving some questions from sites like leetcode, codechef and hackerrank. As a beginner try to solve easy level problems using pen and paper and then try to implement in the code form. There are  basic steps which I follow :    

Try to Analyze the problem and in one read if you can't, try reading it multiple times.

Remember the constraints as its very effective for time and space complexity of program.

See the number of test cases and input fields as most of the time error is shown during compilation.

Try to solve brute force approach wise and then optimize it for better efficiency .

Last make it a regular habit and do practice as much as u can. Its not like you can watch video or read theory in order to ace functional programming. It requires practice and practice.

One more thing for job, please be good in logic section as when they give you question, they are more interested in how you solve problem and what is your approach towards it. So be prepared and solve as many problems daily as u can. Best of luck!!  

Aswini cse
Aswini cse · Dec 20, 2019
Rank D1 - MASTER

I wish you better practice coding challenges in websites HackerRank,Hackerearth .Most companies will use those platforms for coding round. There you can practice coding in every concepts,and discussions under program will help you understand the logic better.

Better to understand data structures too.

Learn data structures from scratch in C, Java and Python

You can improve logic easily ,if you practice more.

All the best for placements ? .

Sayan Chakraborty
Sayan Chakraborty · Dec 21, 2019
Rank D2 - MASTER

Coding is a magical thing, 

If you want to do be a good coder, try to do some code with a passion not with peer pressure, if you get a interest in coding field, you will never be asking this question again to anyone else?,

Try to do very simple code, don't start with very high complex code, this hard code in starting demoralize the person, making him feel coding is tough.

There are various coding website offers various coding questions, start with **hacker rank** first, try to do very simple code, small and easy, than move to code chef and other.

Coding is easy.

Santosh Sahu
Santosh Sahu · Jun 13, 2020
Rank E2 - BEGINNER

Learning an object-oriented programming language like C++ and Java is very essential to be a good programmer. Along with this, it is also necessary to be skilled in Algorithms and Data Structures which helps to put the ideas and logic efficiently.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up