What Are Stateful & Stateless Protocols?

please help me know about them,
i know that they dnt save the state and other stores states...give me real time examples...
and how those are applicable in internet

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Stateless protocol doesn't preserve state of request after transaction.
    Stateful protocol preserves the state of client until it disconnects.
    For example if you download file its FTP uses TCP/ip and preserve all the state of client.
    While if login a website like CE or Facebook it uses a series of series of stateful protocol for login, posting.
    While other time there is no information of client communicated with server, when needed cookies or session variables are used to identify the client.
  • tanvisharma
    tanvisharma
    ianoop
    Stateless protocol doesn't preserve state of request after transaction.
    Stateful protocol preserves the state of client until it disconnects.
    For example if you download file its FTP uses TCP/ip and preserve all the state of client.
    While if login a website like CE or Facebook it uses a series of series of stateful protocol for login, posting.
    While other time there is no information of client communicated with server, when needed cookies or session variables are used to identify the client.
    yes but when loging in what protocols are used to store the state?
    and cookies as i know are serverside programes stored on client side..
    i know cookies are used for faster access...
    but how does cookies be helpful for faster acces?
    what exactly do cookies contain?
    and how do server understand that??
    please help me
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    tanvisharma
    yes but when loging in what protocols are used to store the state?
    and cookies as i know are serverside programes stored on client side..
    i know cookies are used for faster access...
    but how does cookies be helpful for faster acces?
    what exactly do cookies contain?
    and how do server understand that??
    please help me
    • Cookies help in faster access as u don't have to log in again and again, thus saving time.
    • Cookies generally contain random text, inside encrypted text files.
    • Server reads the cookie from the client computer and decodes it and may compare it to its database to recognize the client.
    😀
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    I've mostly seen the word "stateful" to describe firewalls. That is, when I connect to my home PC from work with TCP/IP, the firewall allows the return traffic through because it remembers that I've established a connection from inside to out. But there's no way I can establish a connection from outside.

And I can't use UDP/IP at all, because there's no state associated with UDP. Each packet is it's own transaction. So I can send them from work to home, but the reply can get through.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello there. I just don't know why the group study section is disappeared. I've exam on 14th, if you're one of them, let's talk about Physics 😀
Image processing has undergone many innovations with time, which has always boosted up the quality. But it has always followed the same principle that it works on, that is, using...
hello! I need to connect one microcontroller pic18f4455 to a simulnk model and i don't know how. what my microcontroller have to do: 1. send a value to my simulink...
I am recently leaning barcode generation with C#..NET. And below is my C# code. Could you help me check what's the problem it has for an error occurred when debugging....
We're testing out a wider layout on CrazyEngineers. The notable change is that we've made the sidebar wider by about 50 pixels. The overall width of the site has also...