What are oscillators made of ?

Rectifiers are made of diodes.

similarly amplifiers are made of transistors.

so then what are oscillators made of ? can you guys tell me more about the construction of oscillators, which convert DC to AC sine waves ? what would be the cost of such devices in the market ?

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# (and all the other guys)

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey oscillators are amplifiers with positive feed back

They are simple amplifier circuits made up of transistors, But they have additional feedback circuit in them which provide increase in the input signal strength and effectively an oscillator is got. The frequency of oscillation in a oscillator is determined by the tank circuit having mostly an LC tuning or RC tuning

DC to AC conversion can be done by oscillators.

I would say you make one cos other products in the market will be minimum 10 times the actual cost of making it by your self

Do post the frequency of oscillation you need and we can help you in making your oscilator.

PS: Rectifiers can be constructed by many devices we use diodes for basic rectifiers only If duty cycle comes into play you have a whole thyristor family in the list
  • lal
    lal
    Even transistors can make oscillators when wired in the right way. And there are timer ICs to make oscillations. Crystal oscillators are said to provide precise frequency oscillations among all the varieties.

My knowledge about oscillators is limited to that 😁
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah the best are crystal oscillators But the frequency op determines the better circuit we have to consider
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Pretty much every electronic device is just made up for transistors, diodes, resistor, capacitor & inductor. By proper combination & connection of these elements you can build anything starting from a small gates to sophisticated microprocessors.

Crystal oscillator provides natural oscillation but these oscillations have so small strength that you cannot deploy them readily. A PLL is used which takes this crystal oscillations as reference and generate oscillations similar to crystal frequency.

The device you just described is what we call as an INVERTER used in our home for backup...😁
    I guess that sufficient lead to know the prices. They are expensive!
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thanx buddy.

now i want an oscillator, which will convert the power from a 12volt 4Ah battery into an AC sine wave of the same voltage with a frequency of 50 Hz. now how do i go about it. what are all the materials that i require for making this ?
  • lal
    lal
    Even though alternating signals can be produced by oscillating circuits, they are not used for power transfer. As prototype said, those devices which are used to transfer power from dc mode to ac are called Inverters. Infact inverter is also an oscillator (but it isn't called so)

You will need four MOSFETS or two MOSFETS and two Power Diodes along with a control circuit and a power transformer for the simplest construction.
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    may be this link will help you
    OSCILLATORS
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    #-Link-Snipped-# go with an inverter using 4 MOS that is the best possible solution here.

Reason:

Oscillators are those circuits which provide high frequency oscillations generally above the audio frequency level i.e, 20kHz and inverters are used to convert DC supply into an AC supply

Here is a simple circuit using IC 555
    #-Link-Snipped-#

By removing the transformer in the end of the circuit you have your 12 V op
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks bro.

now is such a circuit available locally in Chennai ? how much will it cost ? any idea ?

or also tell me how i can make such a device at home ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Try making it at home then it will be much cheaper need help post here
  • fake_lover01
    fake_lover01
    I have only one word to say : TANK Circuit, which is a combination of L & C.
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    fake_lover01
    I have only one word to say : TANK Circuit, which is a combination of L & C.
    Actually this is the right answer. An oscillator basically consists of either a tank circuit or a piezoelectric crystal. However pulses can also be generated by using various forms of flip-flop circuits which may use transistors and diodes too. But by oscillators we most time mean a near sinusoidal wave generator, which L/C circuits can generate very easily and then later are amplified to achieve required magnitude and power. It depends upon the wave pattern required to be generated, to choose a type of oscillator from among the above options. A lot of oscillator circuits may be available in various books of electronics including very basic, say of std. XII.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can any1 tell me whether this company is real or not??? and if it is please tell me whether i should go for it? https://www.dcsit.in/
I read an article on India Knowldge@Wharton, which I found interesting. I'm pasting an extracted part of the whole article here and would like to debate on the topic whether...
I am new to CE. I want to get information on the frame format of data which is send to the printer for printing purpose. I want to know about...
i shailaja am currently pursuing Bsc it first year from kelkar college.i am always keen to learn something valuable and interesting.i would love to recieve feedbacks from this site and...
i am willing to do some simple projects using ATmega 16. but i don't have enough ideas on this. i have basic c programming knowledge. if anyone knows appropriate sites...