what are Geniune work ethics and what are not?

I am always confused when i see people do things what are meant to be done or instructed to be correct or are ot be done.
For eg:
-attending meetings. Even when you are not needed only because you are invited or your manager is attending you as well attend the meeting and doze off over there unnoticed.
-formal dressing. I never understood it
-post manager absence . many do this! . wait till thier manager go home and immediatley pack bags. Its not that they are escaping work, but they dont have work to do and were lingering around waiting to leave only after manager leaves! ? why? why to waste time?
-after hourse work. if work demands after hours work, then no issues in doing it. But what is the limit? does workinfr from 8 tp 10 imply I am efficient? or complelting whole work in 9 to 5 says i am escaping work as I am leaving early?
-when you do after hours in a geninue fashion , why dont we claim the payment? if we were to wrok for free we can do it all the time right??
-is this always needed that to make your self look better , you taint others?

*sigh*, work place is so mystical

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I agree with what you're saying about superficial ethics. People do these kind of things to make sure the manager has a good impression of them, which is what matters during the appraisal time!!

I'm coming to terms with these things myself. Although, at my workplace, its not as bad. People generally stick together and (as usual) make fun of the manager!! 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I agree to what Durga says. I believe its because most of the people aren't really interested in the work or the company they work for.

I personally know people who go to office only to get monthly paycheck.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    yes,

what about working over-time? will it give an impression that you are hard-worker or something like that? or that you are dedicated? how does it all matter until you deliver best?
    On personal front , I have as well observed people behave strange towards their friends infront of higher rated guys. Why so?
    and finally escalations.. I really don't get the point of pulling your manager into stuff what he does not know and ask him to push through :-|, all he does is e-mail the manager of other guy, why???
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    i have one word for the behavior you've described : politics!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    mad_scientist
    i have one word for the behavior you've described : politics!!
    Yes thats correct!!!

Its all politics, In my old office there were politics but I was not effected , but here its unbearable 😔

Will explain my situation clearly in sometime !!!
  • EthicsEmer
    EthicsEmer
    Hi folks,

Sounds like what you're describing here is a case of company culture, where a company gives the impression (without actually saying it) that, for example, working late is a good thing, or ethically the right course of action. This extends to things like attending meetings for no good reason, wearing formal clothes, goofing around when your manager is out of the office etc. etc.
    It takes someone with strong personal values and well, guts, to walk out of the office at 4.55pm when everyone else is staying on till 8pm. But why is this?
    The trouble is that workers may start feeling resentful about things they are asked to do (either explicitly or implicitly) that they do not necessarily agree with. There will always be resistance when rules and regulations are not accompanied by open and meaningful discussion.
    How often do companies sit around and say 'Ok, what exactly are our values and our work ethics? Let's get workers involved in devising these.'
    If workers were involved in creating their companies unique values, ethics and culture, then this would lead to a much happier and more productive working environment. It doesn't mean you would never have to sit in in a boring meeting again but it may mean you get the option. It's time to get these internal wranglings out into the open! Ok, so there will always be politics in a workplace but fostering a culture of openness and transparency, where values and ethics are discussed amongst workers, is definitely a step in the right direction.
    Best wishes,
    Emer

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wordpress lovers - Wordpress is planning to release the first beta by late October '09 end, according to Wordpress Official Blog. Wordpress 2.9 is likely to make a debute in...
Ventura, the International Business Plan Competition, is back in its new avatar, VENTURA '10! It's bigger and better and more widespread than ever before! It broke international barriers last year...
using water as coolant in automobiles makes the vehicle bulky and decreases the efficiency.don't we have an alternative for water?can we use some specific derivative of methane in place of...
Looks like we've (yet-another) iPhone killer lined up in December 2009. The phone 's called DROID by Motorola. Following are Droid's available specs - 5 Megapixel Camera OMAP3430 processor Slideout...
I am considering a card based on ATI's HD 4670 or 4650..My budget is around INR 5000/-. I am looking for a mid level graphics which should allow me to...