What are daemon processes

i know what are foreground processes and back ground processes and daemons specifically being back ground processes.

So what distinguishes a normal back ground process to a daemon process?

Replies

• babloo0311
    babloo0311
    hello durga,

Usually a background process refers to a process put in the background
    by a shell but which it can still reach and e.g. bring to
    the foreground again. A deamon usually runs with no association
    to a user/interactive shell or in relation to other non-background
    processes..

a daemon has no associated tty and no parent
    A daemon is a kind of persistant background process
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm

so I can put it this way?
    a user started shell script in abck ground as nohup... is a back ground process but the back ground process satrted up by root can be called and daemons which have no particular access and they run until the terminal is closed ?
  • babloo0311
    babloo0311
    A daemon necessarily is no longer associated with the terminal, and for example will not die if the login process it traced back to no longer exists. It most likely also does a chdir(2), and might even do chroot(2). It should also do things like put an
    appropriate file into /var/run, and perhaps write to syslog too.
  • babloo0311
    babloo0311
    deamon process is a system process which u have almost no control over it is created by init while system boots of by orphanning a foreground process background process is any process which doesnt have active terminal acccess
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm

that explains!! 😀
    thanks.. will get back inc ase of any more issues 😁
  • babloo0311
    babloo0311
    well fine durga . i will also collect some more information about this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hai to every one.I just registered today,I want to make a paper presentation in some latest application oriented thinks..so friends plz suggest me a topic..
hello..i want to have the paper presentation topics which are based on some latest technologies or current developments..
Alright, after reading the following post, let me know if you have a better title. Lot of you might have noticed - companies do not treat all employees equally. Your...
Source: IBM Research | Ponder This | January 2009 challenges Consider the following game. You have an opportunity to buy lottery tickets. Each ticket has a value t randomly and...
I've noticed quite a few of our members entering 'agriculture' in their engineering trade section of profile. I wish to know more about agricultural engineering and its scope. Can anyone...