1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What advice can you give to programmers looking for a job?

Question asked by Chebet Sarah in #General Knowledge #Career Help #Programming on Jan 20, 2020
Chebet Sarah
Chebet Sarah · Jan 20, 2020
Rank D1 - MASTER

For self-taught programmers that have not gone to college, what tips and advice can you give them to help build a resume and get a job quicker?

Posted in: #General Knowledge #Career Help #Programming
supriya VN gowda
supriya VN gowda · Jan 20, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Programmers can attend hackathon events to get their jobs easily. And if you are a good coder then you can form team with your friends and solve projects for engineering students who try to buy projects. It makes you to lead your own job instead of depending on others to give you a job. By these you can offer jobs to people who are looking for jobs like you, it will help both you and them. 

If you make online videos it will help you to get good job. If you are a good programmer it's better to find your own job or if you want job in IT or MNC companies then if you have good programming knowledge then your resume will get more weightage than others who don't have programming knowledge. In recent days all companies are looking for better coders so you will get job easily in any companies.

Durgesh Srivastava
Durgesh Srivastava · Jan 20, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Firstly, Programmers should command on atleast  one language throughly. They should participate different Coding Competitions and Hackathons. You can do different projects of the companies and solve the problems on the Github. If you are doing that such things then You will definetely hire by good companies. You will get multiple job offers.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 21, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

I'd offer following advice to programmers looking for job -

1. Build at least one or two projects on your own:

Programming is only understood well when you've hands on experience writing the code. No matter how many books you read or tutorials you complete - you cannot call yourself a programmer unless you get stuck at a programming problem and solve it yourselves. 

I have experienced this myself. My first approach to programming was to "read" as much I could about the language and focus on theory part. I thought understanding the theory would make me understand the language better. 

But I was wrong. I got better at programming not because I learned theory - but because I actually decided to code something myself. When you code something yourself - it builds your confidence about your knowledge of the language. Do it!

2. Build a portfolio:

If you are looking for a programming job - you ought to have a portfolio in the open source. It could either be on Github or Gitlab; or a live site where interviewers could view your code running. I'm not talking about code snippets; but something that can be seen running. 

A good portfolio or repository instantly gives the interviewers the confidence to hire you. Having something to show is a huge plus in an interview. 

3. Develop knowledge of related technology, tools and frameworks:

Let me explain this with an example. If you are building your skillset as a JavaScript developer; then you ought to know about the popular JS frameworks or libraries. For example, for JS - you should be familiar at least with Angular, Vue, React or Express.

You don't have to know all of them; but at least try to be familiar with the popular framework / tool that's being used. 

For example, I'm a PHP developer and I first learned to develop WordPress plugins and then migrated to Laravel - as it's the most popular framework for PHP developers now. 

I hope this helps. If you have questions, post them below.

Noothan Kumar
Noothan Kumar · Jan 21, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

1. stop arguing about best programming language. Pick one and master it.

2.stop arguing about coding styles. pick most popular guideline for your language and make everyone in team follow it.

3. master command line, and automate everything that you are spending too much time on.

4.communication and other soft skills are sometimes more important than slinging code. you are helping businessess, business is people. sometimes you dont need computer to solve the problem.

Swarup Pan
Swarup Pan · Feb 9, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

If you have the knowledge and love for programming and no degree, there is nothing that can stop you from achieving what you should achieve.
There are a lot of websites and organizations where you can start practicing and then get into their hackathons. If you do really well there in those competitions you will be directly called for an interview from many big MNCs.
Those are HackerEarth, Github, Hackerrank, TCS Codevita, etc.

bill yorke
bill yorke · Feb 10, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Make Things I truly feel compelled to pressure this as much as possible, in the event that you need to be a product designer, you have to create programming. Indeed, it sounds self-evident, however you'd be stunned what number of 'developers' simply read books and recall calculations. A business will require you to manufacture stuff, ensure you really can. 

Try not to make things more troublesome than they should be If you discover Netbeans simpler than Vim, use Netbeans. You'll have a lot of time to learn Vim later in the event that you need to, however for the time being, focus on programming, not the commotion around it. 

The novice programming network appears to be a tremendous sense of self outing for many individuals, don't get hindered in it, simply learn. 

Try not to do serious programming If you need to do it for the good of it's own, put it all on the line, yet don't think it'll make you a superior programming designer. It won't. It may even exacerbate you. 

Separate it This is the most basic expertise a developer can have. You don't have one major issue, you have 100 little ones. Take Candy Crush… Can you make that? Most likely not. Would you be able to put a solitary 'organic product' on the screen? Perhaps… OK, overlook 'natural product', would you be able to put a red square shape on the screen… (that will one day, be an organic product.) 

On the off chance that you have an issue that you can't unravel, separate it, hold separating it, until you have an issue so little, you can comprehend it. 

Be cautious who you tune in to… And indeed, that incorporates me! There is some truly poop guidance out there, a couple of your kindred understudies may attempt to 'exhort' you… They most likely don't have any more experience than you do, yet they have the inner self… Try to differentiate, it's not generally that simple. 

Try not to get impeded in dialects As an amateur, it's anything but difficult to consider the to be as critical, and it's not, the greater part of them are fundamentally the equivalent on a fundamental level, and it's just the subtleties that change. Figure out how to program, and the dialects will blur away from plain sight. Consider it like a vehicle, sure the blinkers may be on the opposite side, perhaps it's quicker, perhaps it handles in an unexpected way… It's as yet a vehicle.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up