Welcome home, CEans! Are you prepared for the new ride?

Dear CEans,

Welcome Home! 

The biggest ever and the most important transition in the history of CrazyEngineers has just happened; and it's just the beginning of a new future for you and us. We wish to talk to you about what's happening and how it affects you. We'll welcome your questions/comments in reply to this post. 

EeTr-welcome-to-crazyengineers.jpg

We'll talk about new platform through separate posts and answer your questions. But let's take it step by step. There are few things we'd like you to pay attention to the following -

1. Majority of old content (discussions, replies, likes, user accounts) has been imported.

2. Personal messages will be made available soon. We're working on a cool 'messaging' feature. You'll love it!

3. With focus on simplicity, a lot of features from old site have been discarded in the new platform. We'll bring them back as the need arises. How do you like the idea of a page where you can suggest new features and others can vote on them, so that we know what we need to work on priority? :-)

4. The new CrazyEngineers is, and will always be 'Work Under Progress'. Which means it will get better every day.

Our humble request to you -

1. If anything looks broken, or out of place; please let us know via 'Contact Us' page: #-Link-Snipped-#

2. If anything looks confusing or can be improved, please let us know through Contact Us. Be assured that every mail is read and replied as necessary.

As you can see, 'Discussions' app has much wider scope now. Feel free to ask questions on variety of topics. You'll be rewarded for it (coming soon!)

As always, your comments, questions and feedback is welcome. If you haven't posted on new CE, try it now! ?

Replies

• Ashok Katdare
    Ashok Katdare

It is the cherished moment in all of us engineers.It gives me an immense pleasure to be present at such auspicious occasion & wish crazy engineers all the best ?

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

A warm welcome to each and every one of you! :) We are proud to present the new platform before you all. It's taken us months to rewrite every single aspect of the site from scratch. 

As #-Link-Snipped-#‍ said above, the new site is a work-in-progress, so be patient as we perfect things in here.

The amazing journey into the new CrazyEngineers has just begun! Join us on this crazy ride! :)

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh

Typing my first post on the new CrazyEngineers ? 

This has to be the cleanest update to the website since 2011 (ever since I've seen it evolve). Absolutely love how fast this platform is - took less than a second to upload my profile picture. ? 

Can't wait to explore all the new apps and features that have been added.

• Amit Jha
    Amit Jha

2. Personal messages will be made available soon. We're working on a cool 'messaging' feature. You'll love it!

I am already loving the site!!! Can't wait for the future updates. *Messaging Feature is the first Spoiler from the CEO #-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir itself? *

How do you like the idea of a page where you can suggest new features and others can vote on them, so that we know what we need to work on priority?

Awesome idea and I think most of us will be in favor of it.

This new site reflects the efforts that CE team has given for over a decade to build a better ecosystem for engineers across the world. With this great site, comes great responsibilities!!! and CE team seems already up for it.  Congratulations CE !!!

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ #-Link-Snipped-#‍ Thank you, all! It's great to have you all here. It's about to get a LOT bigger and better from here. ? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Good to know #-Link-Snipped-#‍ and #-Link-Snipped-#‍ . We're planning to publish a 'changelog' so that everyone knows what improvements and additions have been made to the site. 

As said earlier, expect this site to keep getting better and better every day! 

• Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede

'Super awesome'- is what the new CE is?  So glad to be here again:) All my heartfelt best wishes for coming endeavors:) 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Thank you #-Link-Snipped-#‍ . #-Link-Snipped-#‍ - could you confirm that the '@mention' bug has been fixed? 

• Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ yes it has been, I think:)

• anonymous
    anonymous

What a great way to start fresh. Site looks amazing with smooth navigations. Waiting for lots of threads and news on this. Great work! #-Link-Snipped-#‍  #-Link-Snipped-#‍ .

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ yes, appears to be fixed. 

• Amol Agarwal
    Amol Agarwal

the new design looks amazing! congrats to the team.:) 

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal

This looks amazing! Great move, Biggie!

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Allow me to add to the original announcement. Let's call it 'FAQ' 

Why did we make this change? 

The older platform imposed several restrictions for us in terms of launching new features and making changes. This new site actually our own code - which means all those restrictions are gone. We can now have exciting features, products and services all integrated into one platform. 

I miss 'XYZ' feature from the old site. Will it be made available in this new site?

While designing the new site, we carefully picked every feature. But if there's any feature that you want, let us know through Contact Us. In fact, we are planning to launch a 'feature suggester' where we all can vote for new features or modifications. 

What can I expect in coming days?

'Founders Circuit' will make a return as a new, dedicated App on CrazyEngineers. So expect it to go live very soon. New CrazyEngineers allows us to conduct online events and competitions the way we want. We're already planning for something exciting for the next month. Stay tuned for updates. 

In the mean time, if you need anything modified, let us know. We're listening!

Where's the mobile app? 

Coming soon! ? 

I need regular email/password based login

We're thinking about this. Majority of users have been using 'Gmail' to login to CrazyEngineers. All you need to do is use 'Google' to sign-in to the site. Yes, we are working out a solution to allow regular email/password based login. 

I want to know whether .....

Ask it, below. We're answering all your questions.

• ankit shukla
    ankit shukla

Starting again this wonderful journey in more ravishing way.

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

From Aug, 2008 I joined CE. I saw CE growing and changing time by time ! I am sure this is the biggest update I have ever witnessed on CE.

Great Job !

• avinash rewagad
    avinash rewagad

i am happy to be member  of this group.Firstly i tried to fill my own information by clicking setting&filling required personnel info&clicked over save changes.BUT UNFORTUNATELY, MESSAGE APPEARED AS-"Whoops,looks like something went wrong"&with this my info could be saved.this happened 2-3 times.Kindly look into this.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍  - apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for the feedback. We're looking into the issue by going through the logs. Bare with us as we sort out all the nasty bugs in the system. Looks like we couldn't catch this one during our internal testing. 

PS: Detailed profiles are coming soon. 

• avinash rewagad
    avinash rewagad

Thanks Kaustubh for speedy satisfactory reply.

My concern is our site should be helpful to would be young engineers who would like to become member.We have to cover following areas-like various topics of Electives,Projects at final year ,selecting stream for job,various  job sites of Govt Jobs&their procedure to select candidates.List of web sites for fresh engineers.

I hope this u may be having in your mind.,

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - Yes, as I said - this site will keep on growing and improving. We already have decided on launching a 'Downloads' section where user can upload useful material, notes, papers etc. Then there is likely to be a dedicated section for seminar topics, project ideas where we'll have our users post all the important project ideas, projects contributed through our all-India competition "India's Best Projects" and so on. 

A lot of exciting stuff is coming and we'll keep you posted. 

• avinash rewagad
    avinash rewagad

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ -Yes i appreciate your vision.We strongly believe that we are marching on the perfect track.ALL THE BEST.!!!

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Being old (now in the 80th year) though not necessarily old fashioned, tried the username password route to login. Sent an email when this failed. Lightning fast response.

Site looks great. Shall look around in detail. Please rest assured that we will yell like hell (as always) if something doesn’t seem to work.

Congratulations for an arduous work professionally created.

• avinash rewagad
    avinash rewagad

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, YES GOOD OBSERVATION.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Thank you for all the encouragement. The design has been conceptualised and developed by #-Link-Snipped-#‍ while all the QA work has been handled by #-Link-Snipped-#‍ . My work mostly restricted to the back-end. 

PS: There's a strange issue we are facing, but can't be reproduced 100% of the times. When posting, the visual feedback doesn't show up all the times. We're working on resolving this issue. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Dear Kaustubh, happened to me with my previous response. When I hit the ‘post reply’ button, it just jerked and nothing seemed to happen. Went on hitting it and ended with multiple posts. 

It will settle down Good work by Ankita and Radhika. Kudos to them.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, it's a known issue. My apologies for the inconvenience. It's a known issue and we're looking to reproduce it so that we can fix it. We hope to have it fixed as soon as we can. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Post reply issue still there. I got around by just one hit followed by going back to the previous page. Each time I found that the reply has been posted.

No great problem.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

How do I start a new discussion? There seems to be no option on any discussion page for starting a new discussion.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

There's 'Ask A Question' button at the top of left sidebar. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Ask a Question is missing on my iPad.

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

It appears that first message is consistent when pagination is used. 

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar

Congratulations on developing an awesome platform. Moving to a new platform is never been easy.  I hope everything will be fixed soon.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Curiouser and curiouser!

The site doesn’t allow me to login from Google on the Mac.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, really sorry for the mess. We're testing it. Expect a bug fix really soon. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍  - keeping the first post persistent on all the pages is actually a feature so that we can quickly refer to the original discussion. We don't expect long articles in our Discussions app. So it's should be helpful. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

This is from a Dell desktop, Windows and Firefox.

Everything working well. Any new thing takes time to settle. All will be well.

Really fast and all important things upfront. Very good effort.

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Great site and the speed is super awesome! Only problem needs to be addressed is the discipline issue. Its still not allowing to save anything!

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Post reply is a problem-? How:

Go to page 2 in the topic

type some reply

click on post reply 

(Nothing happens) 

Refresh the page, duplicate post appears.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍  - We've already fixed it. Should reflect on the site very soon. 

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

Excited to see all are liking it. Hope all minor issues get solved asap

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

A curious behaviour. Was trying to reply to a technical post. I added a link in my reply. It would not post the reply however many times I tried. As a cross check I went to general discussions and made an innocuous comment without any links. This got posted at once.

Went back to the other query and tried again using the link. Failed.

Removed the link. The rest of the reply got posted. Went back to my reply, edited it adding the link and saved. It worked. The link was accepted.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, could you please send the text you were trying to post through email to us? We are not able to reproduce the issue on our test servers. It'd help a lot.

Next update to CE is going live soon and we'd love to have this issue fixed in that update. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-#

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I have sent a mail as suggested. It happened again now.

By mistake I posted my reply to this postin the other technical discussion. That got posted. I tried to post that message here. It did not go.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Like the proverbial bad penny have come back.(currently on Dell desktop windows firefox)

In the earlier version of CE  when the reply box was filled and we hit the reply button there used to be an indication that the message was going and then the reply will appear below the last response. This does not seem to happen with the new CE.

The reply button just jerks and nothing happens. We do not know if the reply went or not. only by refreshing the page we get to know what happened.

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

This reply part should get fixed asap, since people try posting and if they dont see it got posted , they try multiple times (we get duplicates) and people may leave the site as they think its not working. They will not refresh and see! 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

I have posted reply for a post and i see that it is saying posting reply and i can see it got posted :) But the time it is showing that is very less. What iam saying is i have posted a long reply and it was visible that its happening. But when i just posted small text its not working as expected.

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Sorry for the spam testing again.

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Sorry for the spam testing again. (I think you already know this bug) but posting reply is shown  but the posted post is not shown on pages other than 1.

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

Testing the post reply button.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ and #-Link-Snipped-#‍ - We're expecting the new build to go live tomorrow. It'll have plenty of bugfixes and a few new features that make the Discussions app more useful. 

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana

Are old accounts deleted?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ Old accounts have all been imported. As long as you have a social account associated with the email id on your old account, you can log in with it.

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

Testing post reply again

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

0j5s-1527241278704.png

There seems to be issue with look.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - Have you zoomed the page? We couldn't reproduce the issue on laptop. 

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

Yes  i have 110% zoom 

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

i can see its working with 100% zoom correctly. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Thank you, #-Link-Snipped-#‍ . The new version just went live. There seem to be few issues with the font-size. We're fixing it. 

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

Hope this must be a smooth reply.

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

Looks good enough ? ? 

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

Testing psot reply

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

another issue

• Kunal Deshpande
    Kunal Deshpande

vRhp-1527301639843.png

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ we have to refresh the page again in case less than 20 character validation is thrown. Post reply becomes disabled.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Looking into it.  Should be an easy fix.

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

I guess this issue has been fixed now. ? ? 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

This being an engineering site Superscript and subscript are needed when calculations/equations are entered. There seems to be no way of doing this. Tried generating these on other software and post. But the formatting gets lost in posting.

a2 + b2 = c2

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

When I posted the above I was given the option of keeping the format or cleaning it up. I opted to keep. Still the post shows that the format was lost.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, point noted. Easy to add that functionality. 

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal

I think you should prevent reply notification if someone reply on his own thread

need search (a must feature)

Pagination on threads should be changed

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - Yes, notifications on self-reply would be disabled in the next update. Search is being worked on. 

How'd you like thread pagination to work?

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal

I guess One should have ability to navigate through at least 5-10 pages

[Previous]1 2 3 4 5 ........ 10 [Next]

Then on Click 5 it will show

5 6 7 8 9 .... [Next]

Something like this

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Got the point. We had discussed this while designing the new pagination system. Here's what we found out -

1. Most of the threads are max 2 or 3 pages.

2. For thread lists, we plan to replace it with infinite scrolling in future. 

3. With search in place, it'll be easier to find the relevant thread.

In addition, we wanted a consistent pagination on both desktops and mobile phones. Our specific design breaks out of mobile layout if we show +2, -2 pages. That of course, can be fixed; but we decided to opt for a very simple pagination.

I'm noting down your suggestion for discussion in the next design update. Do you think infinite scrolling would be better than regular numeric pagination? 

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi

I would love to use infinite pagination.

If I give a click on a name, the profile is opening on a new tab. Is that the way it has to be?

Now I can see the edit feature for posts. Earlier I didnt get it. Super going!

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ thank you for the suggestion. Edit feature is enabled only for newly created posts (threads and replies) and is available only for first few minutes. After the threshold time, it gets vanished. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please post previous year subject wise question paper with solution.
Curious to know what our fellow engineers think about every engineer, irrespective of the main discipline of study, learning to write computer code? With computers making ways into everything we...