WeChat 5.0 Update Out - What's New?

WeChat version 5.0 has been launched. It may not be available in your country as of yet, but App Store in China seems to be the first in the lot to get the update. Android version of the App (Chinese) is expected to go live in the next few hours as well. So far, the launch date of the English version is not known. Let's have a quick look at what's new in the latest update.

wechat

Game Center: With about 11 game titles in the offering, WeChat is expecting to generate some revenue. Of course, this revenue would come directly from the newly introduced payment service, called 'WeChat Payment' that will collect money from the users. You will be able to associate your bank accounts with your account. There's a new built-in scanner that can read and recognize books, CDs and other goods. The scanner can recognize English / Chinese words and perform translations on the go.

Much awaited voice-to-text capability has been added. At present the technology only supports Mandarin and the makers of the app claim that they've developed the technology completely in-house. Those who love to add graphics in their messages may take a look at the new emoticon market. Paid emoticons will be made available for about a US dollar each.

Do share your thoughts about the new WeChat once you get the update in your country.

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those who love to add graphics in their messages may take a look at the new emoticon market.
    I was just wondering if with new version WeChat will give a facility to capture (using camera) your face / body expression and covert that in the emoticon (A real time emot icon 😁 ). That will be cool, right?

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not a WeChat user. I installed WhatsApp because most of the people in my contact list seem to be sending messages on WhatsApp than through regular SMS. Not a fan of messaging services 😀 .

Wondering if WeChat is on the verge of taking over WhatsApp.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wondering if WeChat is on the verge of taking over WhatsApp.
    I haven't checked the stats in actual, however if I am not wrong WhatsApp has a bigger consumer base than WeChat. Meanwhile, just a few days back WhatsApp has denied a overtaking bid of $1Bn from Google.

-CB
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I love crazyboy idea and I love WeChat . Simple interface makes we chat to compete the messengers like whatsapp,line,etc.....
    😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indian Railways will soon have the AC coaches powered by solar energy. The Integral Coach Factory at Chennai has joined hands with IIT Madras to design coaches that will use...
This is arguably the worst taekwondo demo ever. Check it out for yourself -
hi friends, i have a problems with the waveforms of single phase half wave rectifier with r ,rl,rc loads etc.... i didnt understood properly please guide me
I have been allocated to PG-DESD ,CDAC,knowledge park,bengaluru. I need some details regarding class timings and full fee payment. I know the last date for fee payment. But, I want...
Flipkart has posted a teaser saying "Exciting times at Flipkart, we've got a brand new digital product lined up in a couple of days... can you guess what it is?",...