Wanted: A solution for preventing air pollution caused by vehicles

hello everybody! We everybody have some or other issues with increasing pollution on roads, by the black-grey-white polluted air being thrown by vehicles! So, just lured over this thought and have something that set my mind going! People will not listen to us, if we try to explain them the harms of using leaded-petrol or adulterated fuels (kerosene etc.).
"Indians" won't change! So, why don't we change the surroundings!? Thing that got me interested is road-dividers! Probably the simplest thing to modify according to needs! So, I am on a hunt to find a proper air-filtration system that can sufficietly and effectively filter harmful gases like carbon dioxide, carbon monooxide, nitrogen dioxide, and other gases commonly found in the smoke of vehicles. I tried some basic stuff, but it was not so effective in doing so. So, please let me know if you have any solution. Suggestions are welcomed.
Regards,
AviatorAUTOBOT

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The problem is not India specific. I remember we've had a discussion on catalytic converters. Not sure it's relevant here. However, if fossil fuel is burnt; it will always lead to creation of CO (carbon monoxide); which is dangerous. The solution is to move towards electric vehicles or invent better, greener fuels. I hope this is not deviating from the main topic. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • AviatorAUTOBOT
    AviatorAUTOBOT
    I feel, converting to E.V (electric vehicles) would take abit time, due to its cost (which is decreasing rapidly!) and people are not ready to accept it immediately. So, converting the Road-Dividers would just be a solution till every vehicle(most of them) get "green"!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    AviatorAUTOBOT
    I feel, converting to E.V (electric vehicles) would take abit time, due to its cost (which is decreasing rapidly!) and people are not ready to accept it immediately. So, converting the Road-Dividers would just be a solution till every vehicle(most of them) get "green"!
    Okay, I'm failing to get the 'road divider' connection. Am I missing out on something very obvious?
  • AviatorAUTOBOT
    AviatorAUTOBOT
    well... .. you said about fuels......but i say, that people will always run behind the one which is "cheaper" not, "smarter"! Now, petrol prises are up....so people add kerosene to petrol,and runs them at low-cost. So, we surely will have ALOT of problems while awaring the people. So, it would be better if we try to have another solution. One such that i figured out was, making the "roads smarter". One such idea is to change the Road-dividers to some sort of "machine/device" that would be able to absorb harmful gases and make them abit cleaner. So, we will not actually changing individuals, but we will change the things around them!
  • AviatorAUTOBOT
    AviatorAUTOBOT
    Road divider is just one concept of the thing, that can be an alternative! It also is probably the best thing to get the modifications.
  • vigneshmc
    vigneshmc
    we can plant some plants between the dividers which can efficiently absorb pollutants like Co2, carbon monoxide and other harmful gases.This method is already in working in some places but not maintained properly.Its cheap but effective.
  • AviatorAUTOBOT
    AviatorAUTOBOT
    sorrry....but i don't agree! plants are a good option, but they are not effective as much as needed. They have a limit, beyond they wont be able to control... No offence. Putting machines that are simple,effective and cheap may help!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The road divider option won't work in all the cases; for example in cities. The point is; humans *must* find a cleaner solution. Electric vehicles are the future; but my hopes are all on Geothermal energy to power everything!
  • AviatorAUTOBOT
    AviatorAUTOBOT
    yeeehhh.....it won't work , but still......... hope for the best!
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    What if we switch our engines to work on Renewable resources? I heard sometime back that a car is powered by water! ๐Ÿ˜€ Couldn't recollect them.
    Hey, what's that Road Divider concept, can't get it! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • SushmaLokapur
    SushmaLokapur
    How about installing CO extractors in Vehicles? It may help to reduce the pollution to certain extent.. Isn't it??
  • AviatorAUTOBOT
    AviatorAUTOBOT
    lets see.......but the technologies being invented are just being limited to laboratories...with no such great use in public or for public.!!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If one does an order of magnitude (ball park) calculation, it becomes immediately aspparent why an air filtration system will not be an economical solution. In various chemical processes in which active pollutants are evolved, the ventillation requirements are about 1 cu.mtr./sec/sq.mtr. area.

This will translate to a huge volumetric displacement for the road atmosphere control. Massive air handling units, immense power and unacceptable maintenance schedules will be needed. Replacement or cleaning of filters and cost of consumables will be evn more than what the recent food security bill passed in India will cost. The equipment will have to be all weather proof also.

A better option is to tackle it at point of generation - the offending vehicle.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Government must pass laws that will help regulate the exhaust fumes. Simple things like using a fuel treatment in your tank every 3 months or so and good maintenance of your engine will allow your axhaust fumes to be cleaner.
  • AviatorAUTOBOT
    AviatorAUTOBOT
    @bioramani sir, i don't know about the math.....but i feel there would be some solution to it, at some point!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Of course there will be. It is more likely to be to stop things at point of generation, or, even better, avoid generation.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Okay, I have had this idea of using microwaves to pre-heat the exhaust gases before they enter the catalytic converter, when the engine is cold-started and the cat con isn't "on" yet. These microwaves could be generated by a magnetron running off the electric battery of the car. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to generate data about absorption of microwaves by exhaust gases.. ๐Ÿ˜”

PS. I could swear I posted a message like this yesterday in this forum. Can't find it now. Weird
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    If law is passed you'll see how fast they will come up with a slution, provided one doesn't already exist.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

lets enumerate the T.V. shows u always hang up to watch...... for ex. lets say mobiles and more on zee buisness, i didn't knew that on discovery etc.
Hello, I am Sachin Thakkar and I am an IT Engineer. I need a VB.Net Book. Please someone help me find it.
a simple question. Is giving a buck to beggars is really an appreciable thing to do?? you may be kind to the heart wanting to help a needful guy, but...
is there any detail about this topic in this site "Priority for emergency vehicles in traffic signals" ? how can this be implimented ? is it a micro controller based...
Search "Let It Snow" on Google and enjoy the snowfall.