Admission In Astronomy or Astrophysics field after doing B.E. or M.E. in EEE or Mechanical

HI, Sir I am ketan i am doing BE in Electrical and electronics engineering. I am so much interested in Astronomy and astrophysics line from my childhood. I also written books about astronomy and astrophysics like "My safari science" & "Beyond the Time". I also have one website about space science #-Link-Snipped-# who shows my interest in this field. I also have famous science page in facebook too. in short i have lots of knowledge about this field and i wanna use my telnet for our country in this field. please anyone can say me can i get admission in astronomy or astrophysics after doing BE or ME in this EEE engineering field?? if yes than in which institutes?? and if no than which are the proper engineering courses for join this astronomy field??

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Career In Astronomy | Indian Institute of Astrophysicses. You can do astronomy/astrophysics course with a Bachelors in engineering. Please go through the details described in the site above.

quote:Astronomy & Astrophysics may be taught as a special course in the M.Sc. programmes of the physics departments in the universities or colleges. It is desirable for a student to acquire proficiency in physics and mathematics at the graduate level and then to Astronomy & Astrophysics specialization. An engineer with a B.Tech or B.E. degree, with an aptitude for Astronomy and Astrophysics, can also enter the field as a research scholar. endquote

Quote:Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is conducted at an all India level every year in the month of February for admission to Ph.D. programme. The advertisement appears in all the leading newspapers and posters are sent to various institutions, colleges, universities all over India inviting applications. The institutions participating in this programme are : Harish- Chandra Research Institute (Formerly Mehta Research Institute of Mathematics & Mathematical Physics); Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA), Bangalore; Institute of Physics (IOP), Bhubhaneswar; Institute for Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar; Inter-University Centre for Astronomy & Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune; Inter-University Consortium for DAE Facilities (IUC-DAEF), Indore; Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore; National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bangalore; National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Pune; Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad; Raman Research Institute (RRI), Bangalore; S N Bose Centre for Basic Natural Sciences (SNBNCBS), Kolkata; The Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc.), Chennai. The pattern for JEST exam consists of multiple choice objective-type questions, with negetive marks for wrong answers. Candidates who are successful in the entrance exam are called for an interview and depending upon their performance, are selected as Junior Research Fellows for Ph.D. programme. Endquote

Quote:

• Joint Astronomy ProgrammeThis course is of one year duration, conducted at Indian Institute of Science (IISc.), Bangalore, jointly by IISc., IIA, RRI, TIFR. M.Sc., B.E., & B.Tech. degree holders are invited to apply in the spring of the year for selection in July through an interview. After the completion of the course, candidates are offered the opportunity for completing their Ph.D. at one of the participating institute. Endquote

Post again or send a message if you need more information.
  • prajapati ketan
    prajapati ketan

Thank you so much my friend for this valuable information i can't explain you what is importance of this information in my life! ok now i have some questions you told in above post that Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is held in every year month of February can you please tel me in which colleges or universities this test is held?? and which branch of engineering student is able to give this test?? and one important thing that i have heard somewhere that only few selected branch student of engineering can apply for this test is it right?? or every bachelor engineering student can apply for this as you told in above post??

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You are most welcome. I am myself an amateur observational astronomer. I even saw the planet mercury with naked eyes in Madras way back in 1964. Unfortunately the small 75 mm reflector that I have is now useless in Bangalore because of light and Suspended Particulate Matter pollution. You are lucky to see even second magnitude stars now with bare eyes.
    As far as I know there is no restriction on the engineering branch specialization for applying to JEST.
    It is best for you to contact the institutions in Gujerat listed in the site and get details.
    (IPR, Gandhinagar and PRL, Ahmedabad)

I will also try to get some info here and get back to you. Give me some time though. I am somewhat tied up at present.
  • prajapati ketan
    prajapati ketan
    thanks once again Aswath sir for give me the solution of my query i feel lucky to know that a geneous man giving me suggetion. And Ya sir you know aap suspend ho gaye ho but working man always struggle still he can not achieve it's goal and he never minds resistance across his way becz he always know time has no holiday so i salute you sir for giving help to our nation in this astronomy field by you talent. And ya sir i have still one question that which type of multiple choice question is asking in JEST?? Sir m sure that you have to face this exam can you please give me suggestion for Best material helpful in JEST test?? because it is 150% that i want to become an astronomer and as far i have best wishes of geneous man like you sir. so i want to prepare my self from today for this entrance TEST of JEST. And Ya sir i have maked my own site #-Link-Snipped-# please sir visit this site and give me some suggetion to improve it and tel me if you like it too.

ok sir i know you are busy in finding answers of my question ok sir take you time and thanks once again for support me.
  • Sonu Dahiya
    Sonu Dahiya
    Aswath sir , i have done my engineering in Information science and now working in a MNC. But i was also interested in astronomy.I think this is the thing which i like the most.so finally i decided to follow my dream.
    I know a bit about JEST.
    But i have a bit confusion, I want to become an
    astrophysicist, and JEST is conducted in two disciplines JEST examination in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science. So which discipline will be good for me.
  • Sonu Dahiya
    Sonu Dahiya
    Aswath sir , i have done my engineering in Information Technology and now working in an MNC. But i was always interested in astronomy.I think this is the thing which i like the most.so finally i decided to follow my dream.
    I know a bit about JEST.
    But i have a ltitle bit confusion, I want to become an
    astrophysicist, and JEST is conducted in two disciplines JEST examination in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science. So which discipline will be good for me
  • Sonu Dahiya
    Sonu Dahiya
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sonu Dahiya
    So which discipline will be good for me
    Physics started with Astronomy in a sense. So, it should be Physics, isn't it?
  • Sonu Dahiya
    Sonu Dahiya
    @ #-Link-Snipped-# yes, i was also thinking that.But the problem is that i have a very less experience is Physics compare to Information technology.
    This is the thing which is creating confusion for me.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sonu Dahiya
    i have a very less experience is Physics
    Unfortunately Astrophysics is hard core physics. Including the just validated Gravitational Waves.
    This list shows what all are studied in Astrophysics:
    Google Scholar
    Seems daunting. Yet many are at work on these with many Indians in the van guard.
    Try out these links and see if you want to continue or beat an honorable retreat.
    1. Astrophysics Basics from NASA:
    Google Scholar

2. Astrophysics Basics (video):

3. Fundamentals of Astrophysics (video) Tutorial:
  • Arnab Samanta
    Arnab Samanta
    Dear A.V.Ramani sir,
    I am an IT engineer currently working in a software company. I studied B.Tech in IT and want to do my higher study in Astrophysics. Can you please suggest me how I should start preparation for JEST exam.
    Eagerly waiting for your advice.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You can try the Indian Institute of Astrophysics. Selection to this programme is through an entrance exam conducted in December followed by interview in January.
    B.Tech in Computer Science can apply.
    See here;
    Integrated M.Tech.- Ph.D (Tech.) | Indian Institute of Astrophysics
  • Arnab Samanta
    Arnab Samanta
    Thanks for the information sir. But I am a student of Information technology. Am i eligible to apply for that?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Arnab Samanta
    Thanks for the information sir. But I am a student of Information technology. Am i eligible to apply for that?
    Why don't you send a mail to Dr.Anupama and ask her?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Arnab Samanta
    Arnab Samanta
    Thank you Sir!
  • santosh80
    santosh80
    sir iam currently pursuing BE Manufacturing in ANNA UNIVERSITY, Chennai. Am I eligible for JAP or JEST after completion of my course???
  • Muppalla Kowndinya
    Muppalla Kowndinya
    Hi A.V. Ramani sir,
    I am kowndinya working as a senior GIS consultant in Infosys. I have completed my studies 5years back in Electrical and Electronics stream. Being passionate about Astronomy,Applied Physics and Astro Physics I couldn't kill my interests in it. So I would like to apply for a correspondence course in Astro Physics which will create a new era in implementing it on a software product related to GIS and release it to our indian market so that every one can use. So I sincerely asking you for providing guidance for learning and graduating in astrophysics and use my creative mind to implement some innovations which will be handy and userfriendly to our next generation.

my personal mail id : #-Link-Snipped-# and my mobile no:+919676888925
  • Aditi Pande
    Aditi Pande
    How to apply for Joint Astronomy Programme? Is there any kind of application form or registration? I have searched a lot about the application procedure on websites of IISc, IIA, RRI, etc. but could not find anything. Please guide me regarding it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Aditi Umakant Pande
    Please guide me regarding it.
    Have you tried here?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Aditi Pande
    Aditi Pande
    Yes sir....I have read the whole article and subposts on wikispaces as they have mentioned but nothing is mentioned regarding the application process, schedule, dates, etc. And when the wikispaces page directed me to the application form link, there was a message displayed on the website of IIA saying that applications for JAP 2016 are closed. Please help me a way out.
    A.V.Ramani
    Have you tried here?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Aditi Umakant Pande
    Please help me a way out.
    That may mean exactly what it says. I also checked. Looks as though the 2016 applications are closed for the JAP. You can try writing to the Academic Co-ordinator of the JAP stating your case and ask for help here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Aditi Pande
    Aditi Pande
    A.V.Ramani
    That may mean exactly what it says. I also checked. Looks as though the 2016 applications are closed for the JAP. You can try writing to the Academic Co-ordinator of the JAP stating your case and ask for help here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Ok....thank u sir! Ur help means a lot to me!
  • Bala Venkat
    Bala Venkat

Ph.D. in Astrophysics is possible if you take admission in the following institutes. Each has its own separate exam. You can find that in their official website.

1. IIA https://www.iiap.res.in/?q=graduate.htm
    2. IISc http://www.physics.iisc.ernet.in/~jap/jap-home.htm
    3. Indian Institute of Space and Technology https://www.iist.ac.in/conference/iaas
  • Varna Narayan
    Varna Narayan

sir which course should i take in the university if i go through jest? i want to study about black holes,warm holes.

• Varna Narayan
    Varna Narayan

And does these courses have theory as well as practicals(say observation and experiments)?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the best site to create online quiz ? 😕
hiiiiiiii i' mukesh i'm in 4 th year suggest me topic for project in java with oracle 10 g
The networks rely on NAPs, backbones and routers to talk to each other. What is incredible about this process is that a message can leave one computer and travel halfway...
The Art of Asking Questions - Ron Ashkenas - Harvard Business Review
Microsoft Windows 8 is possibly the next version of Windows operating system after the successful launch of Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 2008 server. Microsoft Inc. may launch Windows Operating...