Volunteer computing using BOINC

Do you use your Core 2 Duo, for surfing the internet, making presentations or replying to e-mails? You can use the idle time on your computer (Windows, Mac, Linux) to cure diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research.

Welcome to BOINC, it stands for Berkley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing. This is a software developed by Berkley University that works, broadly, on the principles of volunteer computing.

Volunteer computing is an arrangement in which people (volunteers) provide computing resources to projects, which use the resources to do distributed computing and/or storage.

• Volunteers are typically members of the general public who own Internet-connected PCs. Organizations such as schools and businesses may also volunteer the use of their computers.
  • Projects are typically academic (university-based) and do scientific research. But there are exceptions.
Volunteers are effectively anonymous; although they may be required to register and supply email address or other information, they are not linked to a real-world identity. Because of their anonymity, volunteers are not accountable to projects. If a volunteer misbehaves in some way (for example, by intentionally returning incorrect computational results) the project cannot prosecute or discipline the volunteer.

Why is volunteer computing important?

A research project that has limited funding but large public appeal can get huge computing power. In contrast, traditional supercomputers are extremely expensive, and are available only for applications that can afford them (for example, nuclear weapon design) .
Source: BOINC

Choose from a list of Choosing BOINC projects.

Install BOINC BOINC.

Replies

• safwan
    safwan
    Nice Info maddy. Reading and may register.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Hey safwan..long time!! I've registered for the climate change project..to register all you need to do is give your name, e-mail and a password..nothing else!! You don't have to activate your account or anything

I thought most of us have powerful computers, and if we're not using them to their true potential, why shouldn't they be used for a noble cause!!
  • safwan
    safwan
    ya may be i am just thinking if my brother is ready then ill do it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is this similar to SETI@HOME project? Quite interesting! Thanks for the info!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    The_Big_K
    Is this similar to SETI@HOME project? Quite interesting! Thanks for the info!
    SETI@Home project uses the BOINC client (Earlier they had their own stand alone application) .
  • itchap
    itchap
    @mad_scientist Nice Stuff. I Will register. Thanks for sharing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi frnz...!!!i m stdnt of b.tech1 7th sem..i hv 2 submit a mini prjct so i wnt 2 knw 4rm u wht tpc shud i hv 2 choose..
1. The 1st male singer who won d NATIONAL AWARD....???? a)Mahendra kapoor b)Mohd Rafi c)Mukesh d)Manna De 2. 1st male tourist who went 2 space just 2 visit dere by...
Im final year student of civil engineering desperate to find a hot topic for project in structural engineering... anybody help please 😕😕😕...
A fullerene is a formation of little parts of carbon that is neither diamond nor graphite. During the past it was used for protective covering for soldier at the same...
Hey frnds...I am Pravar......pursuing B.E.(CS) final year.I need a topic for major project. Platform - Oracle Developer or .Net Plz mention some material or links from where i can get...