‪Volkswagen People's Car Project, Hover Car - The flying two-seater‬

The People's Car Project is an initiative launched by VW in China to design the new people's car, an open-source project where citizens can submit ideas to VW’s R&D in China.

This is the case of Jia Wang who thought of a solution for traffic congestion in the city of Chengdu with a small urban vehicle, spherical, connected that can be parked everywhere (even in the air!) with a simplified operation allowing everyone to take the wheel.

The video is completely in Chinese, but still watch it -

If we have a Chinese Engineer here reading this, please help us understand what is he saying in this video.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That car isn't real. At least sub-titles should have been in English. But I don't see the car being practical. With the doors opening sideways, there's no way to park this car in dense parking zones.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    That car isn't real. At least sub-titles should have been in English. But I don't see the car being practical. With the doors opening sideways, there's no way to park this car in dense parking zones.
    The doors could as well swivel in their own vertical plane, minimising the problem you raised.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    The doors could as well swivel in their own vertical plane, minimising the problem you raised.
    Wouldn't that make entry bit difficult for the 'healthy' people?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Wouldn't that make entry bit difficult for the 'healthy' people?
    If they turn the scale at 55kg as I do, no problem I guess.
    I feel that with very highly elastic (>400%) elastomers already available we should perhaps make the 'doors' like stretch skins.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I also thought that it is fake at first. But then it is just a concept.
    We might not see it being practical in another 15 years. Will they follow the concept of mag-levs? (This question might not be right here.)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quirky & GE are joining forces to make an everyday product smarter with software. Check out the video for a few details - You can log-in to https://ge.quirky.com/ Submit your...
mayur
Hello, I will be relocating to the Philippines, and would like to know if anyone in this forum has knowledge or been involved in this alternate form of construction in...
Hi!. I'm a graduate of BS in Civil Engineering and I will take my licensure examination this November. I'm so badly needs a review materials, can anyone will give me...
Structural and Civl engineers must be knowing from a scientific perspective what happened to the buildings during the terrorist attacks in order to prevent future failures. On the day of...