VLSI implementation of adders

Hi,
I am doing my mini project on the topic VLSI implementation of adders for high speed ALU
We are comparing various adders like Carry save, carry select, carry skip, Ripple carry and carry look ahead adder on their performances upto 32 bits using XILINX software version 9.1.
Is their any other adder which can be included that has the high speed when compared to those mentioned above ??

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I studied BCD adders too in the topic of Adders and I guess you are missing that. If you are including all adders, then BCD can also be included. I am not sure about its speed constraint though.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread Moved to Electronics engineering section.
  • Teresan
    Teresan
    Hi, I am not including BCD adders. Am selective in choosing the HSA (high speed adders) I chose only carry select,save and skip and concluded that carry select has the good speed capability..
    I just wanna know about others...
    I ll find out the speed capability of BCD adder too..
  • Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    Kogge-Stone adder...fastest adder design possible.
    Manchester carry chain...
  • Teresan
    Teresan
    Cyborg 009
    Thank you ..
    Can you explain what is Kogge stone adder is ?
    And how it works?
  • Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    variation of carry look ahead...
    expansion for 4bit kogge stone..
    Si= Pi XOR Ci-1
    S0 = (A0 XOR B0) XOR Cin
    S1 = (A1 XOR B1) XOR (A0 AND B0)
    S2 = (A2 XOR B2) XOR (((A1 XOR B1) AND (A0 AND B0)) OR (A1 AND B1))
    S3 = (A3 XOR B3) XOR ((((A2 XOR B2) AND (A1 XOR B1)) AND (A0 AND B0)) OR (((A2 XOR B2) AND (A1 AND B1)) OR (A2 AND B2)))
    S4 = ((((A3 XOR B3) AND (A2 XOR B2)) AND (A1 AND B1)) OR (((A3 XOR B3) AND (A2 AND B2)) OR (A3 AND B3)))
  • Teresan
    Teresan
    Cyborg 009
    variation of carry look ahead...
    expansion for 4bit kogge stone..
    Si= Pi XOR Ci-1
    S0 = (A0 XOR B0) XOR Cin
    S1 = (A1 XOR B1) XOR (A0 AND B0)
    S2 = (A2 XOR B2) XOR (((A1 XOR B1) AND (A0 AND B0)) OR (A1 AND B1))
    S3 = (A3 XOR B3) XOR ((((A2 XOR B2) AND (A1 XOR B1)) AND (A0 AND B0)) OR (((A2 XOR B2) AND (A1 AND B1)) OR (A2 AND B2)))
    S4 = ((((A3 XOR B3) AND (A2 XOR B2)) AND (A1 AND B1)) OR (((A3 XOR B3) AND (A2 AND B2)) OR (A3 AND B3)))
    Yeah i get it 😀
    Thanks alot.. I will include it in my project..
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Cyborg 009

That really seems a good example. do you happen to have any link or diagram of this type of adder? That will help understand the algorithm. The ANDs and ORs might be a bit confusing. you can also give an image from your notebook if you happen to have drawn any.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    I studied BCD adders too in the topic of Adders and I guess you are missing that. If you are including all adders, then BCD can also be included. I am not sure about its speed constraint though.
    BCD adders can be implemented using existing high speed adders and they just need another stage to compensate and balance the answer
  • Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    Nayan Goenka
    That really seems a good example. do you happen to have any link or diagram of this type of adder? That will help understand the algorithm. The ANDs and ORs might be a bit confusing. you can also give an image from your notebook if you happen to have drawn any.
    4_bit_Kogge_Stone_Adder_Example_new
  • kheerthi chandru
    kheerthi chandru
    Cyborg 009

can u explain about Manchester carry chain ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    kheerthi chandru
    can u explain about Manchester carry chain ?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

This tells us in detail about the carry chain adders Do read the article and post your queries here
  • kheerthi chandru
    kheerthi chandru
    i need coding fr carry skip adder. if any1 can search for it please post it as soon as possible. little urgent
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    kheerthi chandru
    i need coding fr carry skip adder. if any1 can search for it please post it as soon as possible. little urgent
    Are you looking for the VHDL program of that adder or any other language

Be more specific that will help us in helping you better
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj

G(0) := a(0) and b(0);
    P(0) := a(0) or b(0);
    C(1) := G(0) or (P(0) and cin);
    for i in 1 to R-1 loop
    G(i) := a(i) and b(i);
    P(i) := a(i) or b(i);
    C(i+1) := G(i) or(P(i) and C(i));
    end loop;

This is one way of getting it done

Do execute it and tell us the result

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All, While commuting to office I usually listen to my radio in my car. My office is close to CM's (chief Minister's) office. So very often they roam here...
I checked out the descriptions of access point, wireless repeater and range extenders but failed to see any major difference between these. It'd be really nice if someone could clearly...
Hello guys, I am putting forward a discussion which is completely related to Business and Marketing domain. We know that one of the main reasons of degrading of Indian Market...
All the forgetful people rejoice. While the world's #1 search engine for all the things you misplaced or forgot, continues to be your mom or wife; you can now lessen...
Hey guys, I am putting forward a topic of discussion related to prevent unwanted usage of cellphones in colleges. This is my theory to stop the unwanted use of Cell...