Viscosity blending equations

Calculating the viscosity blending index of a liquid consisting of two or more liquids having different viscosities is a two step procedure. The first step involves calculation of the Viscosity Blending Index (VBI) of each component of the blend using the following equation (known as a Refutas equation):

(1) VBI = 14.534 × ln[ln(v + 0.8)] + 10.975

where v is the viscosity in centistokes and ln is the natural logarithm (Log[sub]e[/sub]).

The second step involves using this equation:

(2) VBI[sub]Blend[/sub] = [w[sub]A[/sub] × VBI[sub]A[/sub]] + [w[sub]B[/sub] × VBI[sub]B[/sub]] + ... + [w[sub]X[/sub] × VBI[sub]X[/sub]]

where w is the weight fraction (i.e., % ÷ 100) of each component of the blend. In using the above blending equation, it is necessary that all viscosities are determined at the same temperature, for example, 100 [sup]o[/sup]C.

(Reference: Robert E. Maples (2000), Petroleum Refinery Process Economics, 2nd Edition, Pennwell Books, ISBN 0-87814-779-9)

Once the viscosity blending number of a blend is obtained with equation (2), the viscosity of the blend can be determined by using the invert of equation (1):

(3) v = e[sup]e[sup](VBN - 10.975) ÷ 14.534[/sup][/sup] - 0.8

where VBN is the viscosity blending number of the blend and e is the transcendental number 2.71828, also known as Euler's number.

Replies

• crook
    crook
    I would like to thank Mr. Milt Beychok on behalf of all the readers of CE's Chemical Engineering section 😀 . Although I am not a chemical engineer, I am sure that your articles are benefiting many chemical engineers.
  • moodyengine
    moodyengine
    Many thanks for this valuable equations.

but i had a challenge question from my manager which is; we can't blend two oils with the same type but the viscosity is different, for example we can't blend an ISO 100 turbine oil from ISO 460 and ISO 68, WHY?
    😔😔😔
  • gohm
    gohm
    Thank you for posting this! Could you illustrate this with some industrial examples of practical use?
  • Dieselman
    Dieselman
    Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems Refutas can be simplified somewhat:
    (1) VBI = ln[ln(v + 0.8)] + 0.75513

Note than 10.975/14.534 = 0.75513

(2) VBI[sub]Blend[/sub] = [w[sub]A[/sub] × VBI[sub]A[/sub]] + [w[sub]B[/sub] × VBI[sub]B[/sub]] + ... + [w[sub]X[/sub] × VBI[sub]X[/sub]]
    (same as before)

(3) v = exp[exp(VBN[sub]Blend[/sub] - 0.75513)] - 0.8

Milt, did I miss something?
    😕
  • jasonmann42
    jasonmann42
    Dieselman
    Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems Refutas can be simplified somewhat:
    (1) VBI = ln[ln(v + 0.8)] + 0.75513

Note than 10.975/14.534 = 0.75513

(same as before)

(3) v = exp[exp(VBN[sub]Blend[/sub] - 0.75513)] - 0.8

Milt, did I miss something?
    😕
    Yes, you are not being consistent with your algebra. Your simplified equation (1) should read,

=> (VBI/14.534) = ln[ln(v + 0.8)] + 0.75513,

not,

=> VBI = ln[ln(v + 0.8)] + 0.75513.

Just remember to be systematic when doing algebra.

Regards
    Jason
  • morganparkar
    morganparkar
    mbeychok
    Calculating the viscosity blending index of a liquid consisting of two or more liquids having different viscosities is a two step procedure. The first step involves calculation of the Viscosity Blending Index (VBI) of each component of the blend using the following equation (known as a Refutas equation):

Hi Friend,

You can get it by applying mixing rule which is you need to the viscosity of pure component fraction and sum all those to get the mixture viscosity. Anyone please comment if there is any mistakes.

Other is yours.

Thanks
    Parkar

• Blackmot
    Blackmot
    I am looking for a reference to papers describing the applicability of the Refutas equation, in particular, to the original publication of the Refutas equation. Does anyone have a reference available that I can locate? Online or library, either way works just fine.
  • BuachaillAbroad
    BuachaillAbroad
    Hi guys,

For the equations, are there specific requirements?

For example, viscosity must be greater than x cSt, only applies for oil based liquids, etc.

I am trying to calculate the viscosity of a 50/50 Ethanol & Water blend (@ STP) but the calculations do not match my experimental results.

Thanks & please let me know you thoughts,
    BuachaillAbroad
  • dreshti sharma
    dreshti sharma
    thanx........... i ws messed up wid it
  • crazygolf
    crazygolf
    In particular, to the original publication of the Refutas equation. Does anyone have a reference available that I can locate? Online or library, either way works just fine.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Saher Efara
    Saher Efara
    Hi Guys,
    is the viscosity of the blend will be results of the viscosities of the two fluids at the same temperature? Ie if the viscosities of two fluids at 25 c degree the output will be at the same temperatures or the factors values are related to the temp?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey CEans! *looks at xheavenlyx's posting template* 😛 Im working on a line following robot in a group that uses the PIC16F877A uC and the L293 motor driver. The sensors...
CRDI-IT STANDS FOR COMMON RAIL DIRECT INJECTION I M DOING MECHANICAL ENGG.-3rd YEAR I WANT TO KNOW HOW THIS SYSTEM WORKS COM-ON MECHEYS
I have a business website idea that is more complex than a simple e-commerce site. I am not a "computer person" so I have no idea where to start actually...
hi... i am crazy mechanical engineer... so since i am new here i would like to know about this site .... and i am a bit confused about the forum...
Hi everyone. I was watching a TV show and an advertisement got me thinking. The product in the ad was priced at $49.99. I wonder why the price was $49.99...