Virtual Hard Disks in Windows 7 : Tutorial

New features in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 allow Windows Admins to create, mount, and attach virtual hard disks (VHD).

Need to mount VHD files

Windows Admins need to mount VHD files to access files in these virtual disk images. Admins use VHD files for - serving as the virtual hard drive for a virtual machine (VM). Similar to ISO files which you require because you needed a driver file from an archive or to install an application.

Download from here : #-Link-Snipped-#

Create, attach, and mount VHD files in Windows 7

Attach and Create is done inside the Windows Disk Management console. Right-click on My Computer, then click Manage. This brings up the Computer Management MMC console where you can do many different things (task scheduler, event viewer, performance, device manager, manage services, and, finally, disk management).

Alternate way is by just going to the start menu, typing is diskmgmt.msc, and pressing enter

To attach or create a VHD, you click on the Action menu and select the choice

[​IMG]

Creating VHD

After you click on the Create option in the Action menu. You will need to choose as to whether you want to create a fixed or a dynamic VHD file, specify a path, and specify the size of the new virtual disk

[​IMG]

When you create the new VHD for the first time, you will see that the Microsoft VHD HBA device driver is being loaded which enables Disk Management to see the new drive but you still need to initialize it, create a new volume, and format it like any other drive. Right-click on the new disk and click to Initialize Disk

Confirm that you want to initialise disk by pressing ok

[​IMG]

Right-click on the disk again and click New Simple Volume. This will bring up the New Simple Volume Wizard. Select the volume size, drive letter, format, and disk block size before you click Finish to complete the wizard.

When done, you will have a new disk volume that looks just like any other physical disk partition.

[​IMG]

You can detach it by right clicking on it and selecting Detach VHD

[​IMG]

To attach it again, just go to Action then Attach VHD.

[​IMG]

So this is the way you can enjoy the advantages of Virtual Hard Disk inside the Windows 7 with in-built mechanism itself without the need of any third party tool or software.

Hope this proves useful to many of Windows 7 using CEans.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is interesting, but I understood only half of it.

can some one throw more light what i need is where the data which is stored in the Virtual Hard Disk will be stored?

If we detach it and again connect is the data saved?

What is the useful ness of this?

I am sorry if the questions are too basic!
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    No problem ES

A Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) is a file formatted to be structurally identical to a physical Hard Disk Drive. It is typically used in various virtualization packages, and can be used to install a wide variety of operating systems (various versions of Microsoft Windows and Linux)

It enables developers to test software on different operating systems without the cost or hassle of installing a second hard disk or creating a separate partition on a single hard disk

It is a very useful feature.

You have third party softwares also like Daemon Tools.

But now Microsoft has eased it by integrating in its Os itself
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    This is good!! Thanks for the information!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here is the list of most amazing applications for iphone this year - yet another roundup into '10 1) Facebook 3.0 Access your friends, notes, pictures, and events using almost...
Hello, Please tell me the Latest Test Pattern for IBM.Tell me the detail of Rounds and the Topics to study for written Tests. which topics of R.S Aggarwal to study?
1:-Write a Program to print 1 to 100 ....without using any loop?
Guys whenever i see the coding of any web page on a web Browser...I wondered why this line is written on start of any webpage... why it is required...?Is it...
Guys I am not much aware of this...since years ago I heard something like that we can make clouds to thunder according to our wish ..by puting some salt on...